Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Lazy?

southernmess

Cavy Slave
I have a female piggie that is about 3 months old. She recently had 2 babies (4 days old). I have had the mom two months of her life and she was apparently pregnant when I got her. She has always seemed "lazy" for lack of a better word. I have had piggies in the past and they would run around and play and popcorn and make noises non-stop....Sarafina has never really done much of that. Is it normal for a piggie that is pregnant to be a little less active (even a few days after giving birth?) The babies will run and play a little if mom isn't around...but even when I put Sarafina in the playpen which has plenty of run room she just sits still most of the time...is there anything I can do to encourage her to be more active and playful? thanks for any information, help, ideas, thoughts, etc.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Perhaps she was not very active because she was alone.

Many pigs are too afraid/nervous to run around during floor time.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
I'm beginning to think it was a mixture of her being pregnant and alone (which we were going to remedy soon anyways..now we don't have to!) In the past few days she has started to move around more and more. I can sit down in the play pen with her and the babies and they will run all around me and come up to me for "loves" They still choose to spend more time cuddled together in a corner than most piggies I have seen...but I am happy to report a slow increase in activity. When I put them in their cage at night I can hear them running around and I hear the balls jingle and the boxes move. I hope that they keep this up and will come to be a happy family. I did make their cage even bigger the other day, which has helped some as well. Once we finish getting my daughter's (due in March) room ready we plan on buying the supplies to build them a nice big cage.

PS I have a question about getting the little boy fixed. I have called around to the vets in our area and only one has experience. It is one that comes up when using the search engine on here. The vet said that she could do it as early as 3 weeks (basically as long as she could see the male parts she could do it). Is it okay to do that soon? I have googled it and of course got mixed responses. Some said 3 weeks was fine and others said to wait til 4 months. I have an extra cage (not huge but I would keep him in the playpen most of the day) if I do need to wait til 4 months to do it. Thanks for any help or information you are able to share on this :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I have never heard of doing it as early as three weeks, I've always heard at least 4 months.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Okay, I wasn't sure. I really want to be as safe as possible with my piggies..my daughter and I are both in love with them and my hubby has attached to this little fella. I think I will just keep him in a separate pen until he is older. If they are under complete supervision can we let him have some social time with the girls? Or is that too dangerous....I know they are social creatures and don't want to make him unhappy...

Thanks again for the information! I greatly appreciate it :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Playtimes are not good for piggies at all. It just get so stressful for them to be introduced to other piggies, go though the 'who is the boss' dominance/territory stuff only to be taken away, then to do it again and again and again is just not good.

If I was you, I'd neuter him once he is older so he can live with the girls.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Not all playtimes are bad. Try to keep them in cages thqat are right next door to one another.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
I would like to have them as close as possible and interact as much as possible seeing as they are a family and right now get along superbly! I hope that this will keep up. I am definitely going to get him fixed as early as is safe so that he can live with his family in the nice big cage :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Ok. Make sure he is weaned from mom at 3 weeks. If not...well... i hope your OK with more babies.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Not all playtimes are bad. Try to keep them in cages thqat are right next door to one another.

I was meaning play times with other pigs (that do not live together) are bad, play times with just the pigs live together are fine.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
How do I make sure that he is weaned? Snoopy (the little girl) is already getting in to the veggie bowl each day and I have seen both babies nibble on pellets a little. But they still go back to mom...is there something I need to do in order to help wean them?

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Ok. Make sure he is weaned from mom at 3 weeks. If not...well... i hope your OK with more babies.
It's not that I'm not okay with more babies...I have friends that have already tried to steal the two I have now! It's just that I know it's not supposed to be safe or healthy for Mom to get pregnant again so soon. I love my babies and want to keep them as happy and healthy as possible :) Thanks for all this information and help guys! I don't know what I would do without this site!! I am quickly becoming addicted! lol

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Ohhh...ok. And for weaning, they should wean on their own. Try taking mom out of the equation someimes so they have to find food on their own and stuff.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
kk I will definitely do that :) Thanks

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Yup! Glad I could be of assistance! :)

southernmess

Cavy Slave
They were running around and popcorning last night! It was so awesome to finally see them calm down and have some fun :) The playpen is really working!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Weaned just means take the males out away from the females. They do wean themselves. Be sure to do it when they are 21 days old because boys and impreg their mama again after that and any sisters can get preg between 3 and 5 weeks.

No playdates with any opposite gender piggies until they are fixed! It could be very dangerious if someone gets preg. Intentional breeding on their forum is frowned upon. If your friend wants a baby I am SURE that there is a rescue near you that would have babies your friend can adopt. Besides older piggies tend to scratch less, eat less, are more calm, social and friendly than babies.

You did baby proof the cage right? (Sorry I can't remember!)?

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! I wouldn't intentionally breed them...I have already made a second cage for the little guy so that when the time comes he can have his own space. As far as rescues...I have never been able to find one around here. We have them for dogs and cats...but not much else. The cage is baby proofed ... I even made them a hidey-hole/run through today :) They are loving it so far! I made a little bed as well, but they haven't used it yet. Lazy?Lazy?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I just checked Petfinder and Guinea Pig Zone and found a few rescues in South Carolina.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Really? I will definitely go look again :D Last time I looked I didn't come up with anything. I found one in North Carolina with a sister company in South Carolina...but they didn't have any piggies listed. Thanks for looking and letting me know, I will let my friends know where to look :) When I did my search I just googled Guinea Pig Rescue in SC...I didn't even think to check Petfinder!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.