Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Lazy Pigs

snowball002

Cavy Slave
My pigs are very lazy! They are always sleeping or laying down. I've tried hiding their food around their cage, but then they just get so lazy they don't even search anymore! I've also tried floortime with mazes, but then they just get bored and stop to sleep. I have a 1x2 loft, and they are ALWAYS resting up there! They come down to eat, but then they just go straight back up. Is there any way I can get them more active? They are not fat, but my boy is a little over 2 pounds, and my spayed girl in a little more than 1 1/2 pounds.
I don't know what to do, because they are always sleeping and they never run around or play! HELP!

There aren't many piggies who aren't active. But, there are cases where this may not always hold true!

First off, Piggies are Diurnal, as in they are most active in the morning and later in the evening. SO, those are key times to try and entice them with some toys and the like.

Second, try and find something that your piggies REALLY LOVE! Some Piggies are content with food in general...... It sounds like this is the case with your Piggies! Some places sell Hay balls. You can stuff these balls with veggies and hay and the piggies can beat the hay out of them! (pun not intended!) Also, a lot of Piggies LOVE just a pile of hay plopped in an area in their cage. Try that out!

Third, floor time is essential for lazy pigs. Try to do all of these things outside of their cage. Just be patient, and hopefully your Piggies will take to activity! Also, as a side note, PIGGIES SHOULDN'T EVER go without food! So, if it seems like your Piggies are overweight, keep feeding them normally, but maybe take a few things out of their diet. Still a cup of veggies a day, to let you know.

__

Good luck to you and your lazies!

Thanks for the ideas!

Are my pigs overweight? I read some ASPCA guinea pig guide that said your guinea pig should never be heavier than 2 lbs. Is this true? Otherwise, one of my piggies will need to lose some weight!

Pigs come in many different sizes. The average size here at the rescue is 1 kg, which is about 2.2 pounds.

My pig House would be sad to hear that he's "too heavy". He's 3 lbs 7 oz. He's just right for his size! He's active, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.