Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Lazy guinea pig

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Princess has gotten so lazy. What can i do to get her to be more active? What does it mean if she doesn't want to do anything? She only leaves the pigloo to eat or drink. She barely runs or even walks around the cage.

If she is pregnant especially towards the end they get very lazy. My pig spent most of the day in the middle of her hay pile. She slept there and didn't even stand up to eat the hay. She would just eat the hay around her. The only time she would move is to go and drink something or if I was cleaning the cage.

Well thats the thing, I don't know if she's pregnant. The vet said he didn't feel anything in her belly and that she may not be pregnant. But for like the past week to 2 weeks, shes been lazy and has gotten lazier as time goes on. She sits at her hay pile and eats it basically eats it all day long almost. She barely eats her pellets or leaves her pigloo. Starting to get worried. The vet said she's extremely healthy so I know it's not because she's sick.

Did you take her to an exotic veterinarian?

I took her to my vet who sees guinea pigs, but I had found a 24 hour emergency care vet who has 1 doctor who specializes in avians and exotics and the are less than 30 mins away from me which is great. The doctor said to wait another week or 2 before i bring her in just in case it's too soon to feel the babies. He said they may do an x-ray or ultra sound to confirm if she's pregnant or not.

Going to just a vet that sees guinea pigs isn't good, many of them know nothing. When my Phoenix was sick a long time ago, I took her to a vet that takes guinea pigs, but she knew nothing, and Phoenix died because of that, you need a good exotics vet. Your piggy looks very pregnant, so the reason she isn't moving much is because she will most likely have babies soon, I'm guessing your vet was wrong, make sure you have baby proofing, and that you have everything ready for babies, including unlimited alfalfa pellets until they reach 6 months, make sure you look up how to sex pigs also, because you have to separate the males at 3 weeks, or else they can breed with their sisters or their mom.

Also, again as we were talking about in the other post, I wouldn't take her in, there is no need to, it will only cause stress.

When I had called them, they said the vet knows about guinea pigs. But he clearly didnt know as much as they said. so that same day(2 days ago) started looking for a vet/24 hour care vet and I found one that's 25 mins away and they had 1 veterinarian who only sees avians and exotics. and they aren't that expensive. They just charge $67 for a visit. I had already researched sexing pigs. I actually pinned the page on the top of my browser lol. Ok. Well i was planning on just waiting it out and saving the money for them just in case something more important pops up. i have a male already separated and if she is pregnant and has any boys ill put them with him at 3 weeks old. I have dont a ton of research on pretty much everything since I've had them. I also made a video of her and how she acts.

It's like 75 to 80 degrees in my room. added a lot of ice to cold water for my piggies so they can stay cool that way. I hope it works and keeps them cool. I will be adding ice to their water every 2 to 4 hours or when it starts to get warm. I feel so bad. I wish I had a/c in my room. I just have 2 fans on high in my room which kinda helps. Definitely buying an a/c in the next week. Just don't have the extra money right now unfortunately.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.