Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Laziest Pig in the World!

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Elmer is my piggy who has been with me for about 4 months. I adopted him and his brother in October, but unfortunately his brother passed away late December. I have since got him a new friend, and just put them together 2 nights ago. They're getting along great! However, whenever I go to see them, Elmer's sacked out, lying on his side. It looks like he's sleeping. This is normal, of course, but he spends his time either eating or lying down. He's abnormally lazy! Before I'd see him running up to the hayloft, or chasing Peachy, but now super-active Shaggy seems to be wearing him out. Is this normal? He weighs 1.15 kg and Shaggy a little under 1 kg (he's the runt of the litter, he's about 3 inches shorter than Elmer.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Lethargy can potentially be very very serious. Especially if you feel it's abnormal for your cavy, after all, you know him best.

Just to be on the safe side I would get him checked out by a vet if he were mine.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Did you quarantine Shaggy? I hope Elmer didn't pick up anything from him.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
He might just be getting used to his environment or calming down as he gets older.

If the change in behavior was very sudden or extreme, I would see a vet. Otherwise he's probably just adjusting.

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
If he's running and chasing and everything and he just does this when he's tired then it shouldnt be a problem but if he NEVER gets up to do anything but eat and drink and doesnt even run around then that's scary and should be checked out!

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Elmer is probably just getting used to having a new friend. If this is is on going problem, I would go see a vet to make sure everything is alright. Here's a link that will be helpful...if he has an of these signs, take him to the vet right away.

https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#uri

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks! Yes Shaggy got quarantined, and both of them have seen the vet within the past month. But he does get up; probably adjusting, as you guys said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.