Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Laying on back/PLEASE HELP!

Katie Sandlin

Cavy Slave
Today I was called into work and before I left at 11:30am I checked to make sure my GPs had enough fresh hay, food, and water. They were cutting up last night but this was nothing out of the usual, so I didn't get up to check on them. Also, I cleaned there cage last night before bed so I had to "catch" all 3 pigs, which is difficult especially for my Ethel. Today when I went to check on them she was laying on her back pushing around with her feet. I tried to pick her up and she didn't get up and run. I looked to see if there was any obvious problem, saw nothing and laid her back down. She rolled on her back again. I was in a hurry, so I went ahead getting ready. Later I checked before leaving and Midnight was running around playing and running over Ethel so I put her in a carrying cage and took her to work. My boss and I tried to watch her all day, I attempted to give her water. She won't drink water, and she is still laying on her back. She has been in a cage with 2 other females (from what I can sex) for about a month, before that I have no idea.
Also, I have heard her twice- it sounds like a baby sneezing. She whines when you pick her up.

The vet wasn't open today, and please don't make me feel bad about not taking her to the emergency vet. I make $8.00/hour and already spent $194 this week to find out my dog has multiple myeloma cancer. So I am going to wait till tomorrow to take her to the vet.

Anybody ever had this happen before or heard/read about it? Please let me know! Any advice is great :/ I'm worried for her.

Also, her breathing appears to be labored.

I have no idea what to say, other than that she needs to see a vet. I know you said it's a lot to pay, and it's really none of my business, but maybe there's a way you could take her to an emergency vet? Hopefully someone comes along soon to help out. Is she's been sneezing and has labored breathing it sounds like it could be a URI to me.

I am definitely going to take her to the vet tomorrow, I just worry if she will make it till 8am. I am calling the emergency vet now. I can't just let her suffer any longer :/

Yes, get her to an ER vet right away. I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but if you aren't sure she's with other females, and might be with a male - it's possible she's pregnant and having a complication as a result of that. In either case, she needs to get in asap. Good luck and please keep us posted when you're back from the vet.

I called both emergency vets in the area and neither of them know a thing about guinea pigs :/ I really should have not gone to work and tried to find someone sooner. I am kicking myself in the butt right now.

Is there a rescue in the area? On my local rabbit recuse webpage they have a list of good vets to visit including ER vets. Check here see if there is another one near you. Vets in the Guinea Pig Zone

If she's in labor what do I do?

I have no idea if there is a way to help her at home. If she has been in labor all day the pup is probably stuck and she will need a c-section. Guinea pigs should birth in a matter of minutes. I'm sorry, I wish I could offer more help.

If she's in labor and has been in labor this long, she's in very dire straits and needs to get to a vet - any vet at this point - immediately. Also, separate the males from females asap, too.

Try calling the other ER vets back, say that you think it is a stuck pup. They might be able to help if that is the case.

So I drove over 200 miles tonight to get to and from an emergency vet. It turns out Ethel was pregnant. The C-section would have cost over $1000, so I had to let them put her to sleep. Out of the 3 GPs I thought were girls (according to the pet store), only 1 was. Poor Ethel must have been catching hell from the boys. Lucy (more like Ricky Ricardo) has a sore on his stomach, more than likely from fighting with Midnight over Ethel. At this point I am so upset over the loss of my favorite pig that I might try to re-home the 2 boys. I will give it some time before I decide. Thanks for all your advice!

This is so sad. I'm sorry for your loss :(

I am so sorry for your loss. Please take some time before you decide anything about the two pigs you have left. I know it's hard right now but they need you to make the right choic, for them and yourself. Again I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I too am very sorry for your loss. Like Inle_Rabbit said, please take some time to think things over before you make a rash decision when you're upset. Right now you just need some time to grieve and think things through. My thoughts are with you.

I'm so very sorry for your loss :(

I am so sorry. I know this must be hard on you. I hate when situations come up that you don't have the time or money for. :( So this doesn't happen again, are you SURE your other pigs are both males?

:( Oh man... I'm soo sorry. RIP little piggie.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I do hope all the posters on here who advocate buying from pet stores are reading this thread -- missexed guinea pigs are all too common when getting them from pet stores.

As far as your other two, I hope you'll wait until things have calmed down a bit before making a decision about what to do with them. If they're both males, they can safely live together. And if you've had them for a while, you know they're very entertaining pets.

Males can live together, but this can only happen if the cage is large enough. Otherwise fighting will occur, and more vet visits. Check out the cage size standards on the front page of this site.

I would get into the habit of weighing your pigs weekly. That way, you can tell if a pig is losing weight because they are sick, or gaining because they are pregnant.

I would also do as much reading as possible here about guinea pigs and their care. Pet stores really don't know that much, as you found out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.