Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lawn mowers = grass = guinea pigs!

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
How long do you have to wait to pick grass / take your pigs outside to eat grass after the lawn has been mowed? My mom's fiance just mowed the lawn yesterday(I believe), and forgot to give me my little "patch".

We live in Ohio and the girls have been out for a light snack already. The weather was exceptionally warm and the ground was dry and they had a blast.

That's an interesting question. I would wait a couple days for the grass to get a bit longer so they don't eat it down to the ground itself. My landlords came over today and cut my backyard but haven't mowed the front yet, so I am going to take the pigs outside for a bit in the morning to munch on the grass before it all gets cut. I was kinda mad that they mowed it without even asking me first. I have one small but terrific patch of clover in the front that I am going to let the girls graze in.

I was wondering because I heard that the <mercury or something like that> chemical after mowing was hazardous to pigs. I think I'll wait a good week just to be safe.

Did he put any chemicals on the lawn, or just mow?

RubyPiggie2 said:
I was wondering because I heard that the <mercury or something like that> chemical after mowing was hazardous to pigs. I think I'll wait a good week just to be safe.
Our pigs live on the lawn in a wire run from May to October, and when it gets mowed we just move the run out of the way, then move it back again. In 20 years of doing this we have never had a mowing-related health problem. We use a petrol mower with an efficient collector and keep it well serviced with sharp blades, so that the mown grass is disposed of. I always understood that the cuttings could be oily, but the lawn itself is fine.
Generally, they do such a good job that we hardly have to mow at all!

Giving my grass a cut later this week. Then hopefully next week will be the boys' little treat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.