Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Kwee wheeking extremely loud

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
So last night, we had a couple of friends over at our apartment, and we brought Quee and Kwee out for some floor and lap time. While Kwee (the younger one, about two months old) was sitting on our friend's lap, someone she had never met before, she just started wheeking like crazy out of nowhere. It was definitely the loudest I've ever heard either of our pigs; I heard it clearly from across the apartment. At first I thought it was the balcony door squeaking as someone opened it.

She only did that a couple of times within a minute or so, and she's been quiet as usual ever since. Both of our pigs are generally very quiet; they might wheek very faintly when they hear the bag of hay or pellets, but nothing like this. Kwee has also wheeked loudly on one other occasion; when we were in the car on the ride home from picking her up. That was loud, but nowhere near last night.

So, any ideas what that might have been about? Does she just love our friend more than either of us? Or am I mistaking a loud wheek for a scream of terror? ;)

Sometimes pigs will cry out loudly if they are irritated/hurt. My long haired pigs will let out loud cries that sound like wheeks if I'm brushing them and there is a knot in their hair.

Without being there we really have no way to tell, but if nobody was bothering her she may have just gotten a bit excited. Sometimes a pig just breaks out of its shell.

One of our pigs does that if he is lonely or afraid. He's blind and hard of hearing, and if it's too quiet in the house / other pigs are sleeping, he'll start wheeking like a train whistle. He'll also do it if he is afraid b/c of something new and wants his dad, or even me, to hold him. He would totally do this if he were on a stranger's lap and couldn't tell that we were nearby. Reminds me of a human baby looking around for mom or dad when a new person is holding him. But Picckalo can't see us or easily hear where we are (he hears loud noises and can sense some things by vibration and of course scent), so if we were too far away and he's out of his cage w/ a new person, he gets stressed.

I think Kwee was looking for her roommate. When we have our boys out if one can't find the other there is some wheeking.

Harper does this but he does it on his own and quite often. He will just randomly start wheeking his head off when he's in his cage! I think he does it because he either smells Radley, my sow, or he wants veggies.

I think Kwee was looking for her roommate. When we have our boys out if one can't find the other there is some wheeking.
Quee was right there with her on another friend's lap on the same couch. /shrug

well i dont think little could actively see big, so maybe she did just feel lost.

Ritz makes a sound like a whistle when he wants snack time or attention! it starts off as a wheek anytime i rustle a bag, go to the kitchen, or even talk to him! then it sometimes turns into a high pitched whistle! its so cute! :D maybe your pig was just super excited!

Not sure what would have triggered such excitement; she already had a carrot and cucumber right in front of her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.