Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay KMS runs out of Bluegrass!?

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Oh no! I really hope the bluegrass I have lasts until...August? My fiance is allergic to Timothy, I had no idea that KMS would run out of a specific type of hay. I ordered just ordered more pellets from them and saw the notice, has anyone else noticed this happening in past years?

Whether or not they run out of a particular kind or cut of hay depends almost entirely on the weather, over which they have no control.

They ran out of bluegrass this year because much of the crop was rained on after it was cut, and therefore ruined. Some years they get third cut, some years not.

UGH! That is terrible news... my pigs go nuts for her bluegrass, and I am running on scraps at the moment. I suppose its 3rd cut tim and orchard grass for the forseeable future. What a bummer.

I have a very chubby and whiney boar who I'm going to have to talk off the edge when he gets the news.

@bpatters It makes complete sense! I know a lot of farming depends on weather...I just wan't expecting it :)

@SurfingPigs I am in a similar situation - but I do know we can get other bluegrass in SD, WeeCompanions gets bales of it from somewhere in east county :)

There is somewhere that we can get nice, big bales for something like $5; its no KMS bluegrass, but the pigs are still fans. If I go that route, I'll shoot you a PM here and you can have some.

The SPCA off Morena Blvd. sells nice orchard grass bags from a local farm at fair prices.

when i went to order last week i noticed that there was no bluegrass and that the front page of the site said there would be no more till august. was kinda bummed cause i wanted to try it so my girls could have some variety.

but since there was none i ordered more of the 3rd cut timothy...which my girls love so they'll be good till there's more bluegrass and i can buy some

Last edited:
You should try orchard grass. I have severe allergies to timothy as well, but orchard gives me no problems. My girls love it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.