Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition KMS Pellets and Hay: PLEASE HELP

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I'm going to order KMS hay and pellets. Which is the best pellets and hay to get from them? I'm going to buy a 25lb bag of pellets and a 15lb bag of hay

Which is better, KMS or Sweet Meadows?

Both are good choices. I prefer KMs, as do many others. Some folks like Sweet Meadow. Depends on your pigs and what's preferable for you.

The general rule of thumb is that adult guinea pigs need timothy based pellets and younger pigs need alfalfa based. I'm not entirely sure that's true, though. I usually get both and do a mix.

As for hay, either her timothy or bluegrass is wonderful, but some people (including my husband) have allergies to timothy, so bluegrass or orchard grass is sometimes preferable.

Both are good choices. I prefer KMs, as do many others. Some folks like Sweet Meadow. Depends on your pigs and what's preferable for you.

The general rule of thumb is that adult guinea pigs need timothy based pellets and younger pigs need alfalfa based. I'm not entirely sure that's true, though. I usually get both and do a mix.

As for hay, either her timothy or bluegrass is wonderful, but some people (including my husband) have allergies to timothy, so bluegrass or orchard grass is sometimes preferable.

I've noticed that the timothy grass makes me sneeze a lot. What is the difference between bluegrass and orchard grass? Where do you get the bluegrass and orchard grass from?

Last edited by a moderator:
From her homepage:

Unfortunately we have run out of bluegrass for the year. We are still trying to find bluegrass, but at this late date, we're not sure that will happen. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope to have more in late August.

Orchard grass, you should be able to find at a feed store or local farmer in your area. That's where I get mine.

From her homepage:

Orchard grass, you should be able to find at a feed store or local farmer in your area. That's where I get mine.

Oh ok thanks. What's her home page Link?

Thank you. The farm by my house doesn't seem to have whether or not they sell hay on their webpage. Does anyone know where else i can get bluegrass or orchard hay?

Also can I mix orchard hay and alfalfa hay together?

I don't think kleenmama is selling bluegrass at the moment. Maybe you can get hay from sweet meadow. :)

I did find orchard grass on sweet meadows website. Alfalfa is really high in calcium and unless they are very young I wouldn't mix the two. Young guineas from what I hear don't really need that much. It is like Paula said it is the rule of thumb for young pigs.

(broken link removed)

I ordered KMS pellets for my piggies not that long ago. Can't wait till it comes and see the difference in it. Oxbow is expensive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.