Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay KMS Order

kananaka

Cavy Slave
So I just ordered for the 1st time KMS hay and pellets. I am so excited! I have been using Oxbow but after some consideration I decided to say to heck with the shipping cost and get try some of KMS for the girls.

Also I don't know if I mentioned it but they finally are in the C&C cage (2x5) and loving it. We got it a few weeks ago and they seem so much happier although they are still lazy ladies :p.

So YAY! Can not wait to see what the KMS feels and smells like. I ordered 25# of the 3rd cut and 5# of the 2nd. Do you have a preference of the type of cut?

3rd cut should not be fed as just their normal hay, as there is a difference in nutrition. There is a part of the website where they talk about the hay, and it says something to the extent of "3rd cut should be a gift, not a given" So I feed 2nd cut timothy, but have been thinking about trying out the bluegrass, or meadow grass next shipment (If they have it back in stock by then) And see how my piggies like those. :)

3rd cut should not be fed as just their normal hay, as there is a difference in nutrition. There is a part of the website where they talk about the hay, and it says something to the extent of "3rd cut should be a gift, not a given" So I feed 2nd cut timothy, but have been thinking about trying out the bluegrass, or meadow grass next shipment (If they have it back in stock by then) And see how my piggies like those. :)

The quote said, "Third cut is a gift, not given" meaning it's hit or miss what 3rd cut will be like. Some years there's a lot of brown leaf, less was harvested, etc. It's not saying you should only treat your pigs with it once and a while. It's fine to feed the third cutting every day, all day. It's a bit softer, so there might be less teeth grinding action. Most pigs will eat a higher volume of it since they like it more, so I think that makes up for the texture.

We have 3rd cut and my guys L.O.V.E it! They eat the hay so much better than they ate the oxbow. I've actually been considering a hay rack that can hold more b/c they go through what I put in the bins. I typically need to refill about twice a day.

I did read about the hay before I ordered :D and did not get the impression it was a once in a while treat at all. My girls really like a mixture of orchard and timothy so I thought 3rd cut would be a nice go between as bluegrass is not available on KMS. I am just excited to finally make the commitment to order from there. Shipping is almost as much as the original order :eek:, but from what you all say it is worth it. We will give it a go and see.

The quote said, "Third cut is a gift, not given" meaning it's hit or miss what 3rd cut will be like. Some years there's a lot of brown leaf, less was harvested, etc. It's not saying you should only treat your pigs with it once and a while. It's fine to feed the third cutting every day, all day. It's a bit softer, so there might be less teeth grinding action. Most pigs will eat a higher volume of it since they like it more, so I think that makes up for the texture.

Well I know about the quote, just thought I would add it in there, as to why I don't feed it, as when I tried it once, it was very brown, but the 2nd for me has always been nice and green, they were two different statements. lol I've just heard from some people that 3rd cut is too high in sugar to be feed daily. Guess my info was wrong. :ashamed:

I give my boys 3rd cut every day and I love it. They love it too! I've never had it be brown. It's always green and soft. I've tried the 2nd cut and Super 2nd cut when KMs was out of 3rd but I came back to 3rd because I felt like it was very fresh and smelled good.

I did read about the hay before I ordered :D and did not get the impression it was a once in a while treat at all. My girls really like a mixture of orchard and timothy so I thought 3rd cut would be a nice go between as bluegrass is not available on KMS. I am just excited to finally make the commitment to order from there. Shipping is almost as much as the original order :eek:, but from what you all say it is worth it. We will give it a go and see.

SO worth it. And I'm sure you've seen where it still works out to be cheaper than if you buy it at the store even with the shipping in most cases. Even if it wasn't cheaper I would still buy it. I bet you'll agree after you get your shipment.

SO worth it. And I'm sure you've seen where it still works out to be cheaper than if you buy it at the store even with the shipping in most cases. Even if it wasn't cheaper I would still buy it. I bet you'll agree after you get your shipment.

I hope so! It sounds like its worth it. My shipping was almost $32 and the order was $37, so YIKES on shipping. I decided to go with them instead of other suppliers because KMS is the one most recommended on this site and you all seem to love it. SO excited! Can not wait.

Oh and I will post pics soon of cage. About to switch over to fleece so will post the cage as soon as that happens.

My boys LOVE their KM hay. When Patch hears me in the box he instantly starts to popcorn.
I'm setting aside 10% of my tax refund as the "hay fund" cause the shipping is steep.
But the quality is amazing. A friend a work did not believe me when I said good hay is green. He said "green hay is called grass". He was so surprised when I took a handful of KM in for him to see, touch and smell.

I have not been fan of their pellets though. And my boys haven't really taken to it either.
I think I am going to donate the remaining and go back to Oxbow pellets.

You will be thrilled with their hay

@Kim37040 One complaint I do have about the pellets is the bag has a lot of "pellet powder" in it.

I actually take a mesh strainer to get the dust out of them. :p
I'm OCD about things.

My pigs love them, though. They even helped my Numa's white pee issue.

We are currently using oxbow pellets and hay) and I have a little over 1/2 a bag of pellets left and another full bag ready (where I get them is a tad bit of a drive so I stock up when I go lol), I was going to donate the bag to my daughters class pig but now I think I will hold on to it in case they do not like the pellets (thanks for the tip).

Thank you!
I was thinking that tonight. There is tons of "dust". I keep shaking down the container hoping the dust will settle but it doesn't.

I wish my boys would have taken to them.... especially since I got a 20# bag of it.

@Kim37040 One complaint I do have about the pellets is the bag has a lot of "pellet powder" in it.

I'm OCD about things.

My pigs love them, though. They even helped my Numa's white pee issue.

I'm OCD about things.

It's CDO... same thing but with all the letters in order the way they should be ;)

It has arrived! I am so excited! Will be taking it out of the bags and setting up storage in an a couple hours (after kiddie comes home from school). I will let you know what I think!

So I finally opened the box and WOWEEE what a difference. The smell was amazing and the hay is so soft. Its so green and lovely, can I just play in the box? Totally worth every $. I am now officially a KMS customer for life.

Kananaka, I reacted just the same way when I got my first order of KMS 3rd cut and my pigs went crazy. They spent the whole first day in the hayloft. Now they have backed off a little because it's not so new anymore but they still love it. I thought it was expensive at first given the shipping but then I figured out the cost per pound all told, compared to what I had been using and it was a lot less. That sold me!

Indeed :D. Mine did not go crazy but there was an earlier indecent at the new hay feeder (it tipped over onto Rose), so I think they kind of are spooked of it atm. I did end up clipping it to the side of the cage so that wont happen again, I feel so bad that it did in the 1st place, but no real harm just a trapped scared pig covered in hay. Also many new changes in the cage with new hideys and fleece, so I hope that they get used to in quickly and can begin to enjoy their new nummys!

So I finally opened the box and WOWEEE what a difference. The smell was amazing and the hay is so soft. Its so green and lovely, can I just play in the box? Totally worth every $. I am now officially a KMS customer for life.

Hehe... Here is an email between KMS and I after getting our first shipment.

"I just received my 1st order of the 3rd cut timothy hay from you and I have to say it is the most beautiful hay I have ever seen. Green and fragrant, soft and fluffy, heck *I* want to play in it! I got rid of the old stuff and filled my guinea pig's lofts up with this and they haven't left their kitchen areas yet.

I wish I hadn't been so hesitant about ordering hay,
next time I'll be going for the largest you have! Never again will I buy hay at a
store. Thanks so much for such wonderful hay!"

and their response:

"I've had customers email us time and time again to say similar things =)

"I am almost embarassed to admit I buy hay from across the country but..."

"I brag that I buy my hay from online because when people see the quality
they quit teasing me...."

I am so glad that you love it!

We're working on a "Recipe book for the 2 legs" Just in case ;)

Have a fantastic day, and thank you for the wonderful comments! We look
forward to providing you quality products for your animals for a long time
=)

Thank you for choosing KMS Hayloft!
"

Hehehe. Well I woke up this morning and went to check on them before giving them their breakfast and the hay feeder was EMPTY. SO I refilled it and out came both piggies fast as lightning straight to their hay feeder. Usually they are squeaking for morning veggies but not this morning, they were happy just to sit and nibble the hay lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.