Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Kiln-Dried Pine?

kalashnikova

Cavy Slave
Hello All,

I was just wondering, how do you tell if your pine shavings are kiln-dried? Is is specifically labled on the bag somewhere? I am asking because my girlfriend left me a voice-mail saying she picking me up a huge bag of pine shavings for Lois. She didn't say if they were kiln-dried or not. I'm getting ready to leave for class and work, so I won't be able to talk to her till at least late tommorrow night. So is it clearly labeled, and if not is there another way to check?

Thanks,
Josh

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
It should be clearly labelled, but if it isn't be very cautious.
I'm thinking that pine shavings that aren't kiln-dried would have a stronger pine scent?

Marlania

Cavy Slave
The bags that I buy specifically say kiln-dried, and you should be able to detect a stronger odor if its pine. The only way I really smell the kind I buy is if I leave it in my Jeep, with the sun beating on it, for a few hours before I unload it. Turns out to be a good air freshener lol.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
if its not labeled as kiln dried it prob isnt. Open the bag and let it air our until the pine smell has diminished, then its ok to use

kalashnikova

Cavy Slave
Alright, got off the phone with milady not too long ago. Its Kay-Tee and it was labeled kiln-dried. Anything bad about it? I know Kay-Tee tends to be disliked in general on the board.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
For bedding and hay as long as it's not too old and dusty, or for the hay it hasn't turned brown, you're fine. It's mostly the food that's bad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.