Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

kiln dried pine shavings?

thegpiglioness

Cavy Slave
ok so i know pine is a no no withour furry little friends, it being problematic with the repiratory system and such, but i read somewhere (cant remember where) kiln dried pine is less harmful type of pine shavings because it goes through a special process to strip away as many aromatic oils as possible. i dont completely trust this and wanted to know the verdict. if any of you tried this product and wat were the results and if in fact you believe it is less harmful to use. or not.

reason being is bedding for me is a the biggest expense for my 3 piggies and in fact i put thick layers of newspaper under the bedding to absorb as much urine as possible but one of my pigs pees like there is no tommorrow and it takes one whole bag of the big carefresh (50L) or one 20 lb bag of the oxbow eco straw pellets to line the whole cage. i called a local pet supplier who said the biggest beeding product in bulk was the packaged kiln-dried pine which is compressed and when opened would line a horse's stall. its only $15.00 of a bag too!

so yea, some input on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

~T.G.L.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Kiln Diried pine is perfectly safe, just be sure its low dust, or dust free. I use kiln dried pine and I am happy with it but its not very obsorbant, at least the brand I buy, but others are more obsorbant than others so try dif brands to see which one you like best. $15.00 :eek: I get a bag that is 7.5 cu. ft. compressed to 3cu. ft. for $5. I'm not sure if its the same size or not but $15 seems like alot, at least for where I live.

Last edited:

Neocavyowner

Cavy Slave
Check around for a farm supply store. I payed $6.99 for a bag that expands into 10 cubic feet!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.