Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage Keeping pellets in a pet food container?

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
I've found a good deal on storage for hay, so I feel prepared to order KMS for the first time. However I want to order the pellets as well. I'm going to start out with the smallest just so I can gauge their reaction to it but if all goes well I was thinking of ordering a 25 or 50 lb bag and getting a container, such as a those pet food containers found at pet stores and walmart, and keeping it in there.
But then I thought what if that much is to much? I have three boys so I figure 50lbs would last a while, but I dont want it to go bad of before they can eat it all, of course! I saw someone mention freezing pellets in one thread, but I don't have freezer space for that much. My 5lb bag of Oxbow says its good till 2014, does KMS have a similar longevity to it?

Sorry if this is a common question, I did look for an answer but I did not find much on pellets. So thanks for your time!

I took a look on my KMS pellet bag and it says to store it in a well-ventilated area. Strange, as thought this was only true for loose hay. KMS also says not to freeze their pellets on their website, and that the C content is good until after either 255 or 355 days. I can't find where the for-sure answer is!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.