Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

keeping leafy greens fresh

critterlover

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if anyone has the same problem as me. I bought some endive and red-leaf lettuce 2 days ago and have been keeping it in a plastic bag in the fridge. The endive is starting to wilt, but my piggy hasn't finished it yet (despite his unbelievable appetite!) Any ideas on how to keep lettuce fresher for longer?
Or is it ok to feed just one leafy green at a time?

roosterboy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
critterlover said:
I bought some endive and red-leaf lettuce
Are those good for guinea pigs? I've never heard of endive, and I know that red-leaf lettuce isn't recommended.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
That's for the great advice, roosterboy. I'll definately try that!

Endive is just another lettuce. I read somewhere that romaine lettuce,
endive lettuce, and red-leaf lettuce were good. Can't remember where, though.
What's wrong with red-leaf lettuce?

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
I want to know too! I bought some the other day and they loved it! And that IS a great idea about the paper towels. I just buy my veggies about once a week and keep them in the bag in the veggy drawer. I have nine pigs and usually buy romain, dandilion greens, carrots, and something else like brussel sprouts or carrot tops, they stay pretty fresh during that week if I make sure to keep them all in their original bags, then in the large thick plastic bag that I toted them home in folded over.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Red leaf is fine. Someone said it doesn't stay as fresh as romaine and green leaf, but with my rabbits and all the guinea pigs, greens don't last long enough in my fridge to go bad.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Mine eat it all too fast also! It drives my mom nuts because I sometimes accidentaly give my pigs HER veggies!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yeah. My Dad likes eating green peppers, so he buys a bunch. He asked my Mom where they all went the other day. She told him that he ate them all when in reality they went into the piggie's mouths. He started buying red bell peppers though, and the piggies won't eat those.

I'm from SD! Did you get any of your piggies from Fenella?

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
No I was bad and got them at Petco and Petsmart and then bred them before I relized how many unwanted pigs there were. Now my boys are nuetered and if my mom ever lets me get another Im going to adopt. Who is Fenella?

Salem was kind of adopted. Every so often Petco has small animals to be adopted. I dont know were they come from but he was 15$ including a wire bottomed cage that I imediatly fixed. He was almost bald from mites and had severe bumblefoot not to mention he was 6 years old at the time. I dont know why I wanted him but now he is healthy and happy and almost 10 and hes the freindliest pig I have. I dont know how they let him get bald if you look in my album you can see he has a lot of haie. It makes me so mad to remember how sad he looked.

Sorry to ramble. I love to talk about my babies and I could do it forever.LOL

roosterboy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
People dump their unwanted animals off at Petco. I've seen everything from birds to kittens, to guinea pigs, hamsters, even someone wanting to leave their dog there. It's not a shelter people.

Fenella runs the San Diego guinea pig rescue. She's a really nice lady and has some awesome piggies.

https://www.weecompanions.com/

(broken link removed)

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
My Baby Mu told me in one of the threads that red leaf lettuce wasn't really recommended.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Why? I feed it. I haven't had any problems. I only read on GL that someone said it doesn't last as long as green leaf and romaine, but greens don't stay uneaten here for very long anyway.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
In my food store, the veggies get a fresh water spray every few minutes. Therefore, I put my Romaine, Red Leaf, Green Leaf lettuce in the plastic bags. They stay pretty fresh leaving them in the (wet) bags in my refrigerator til I separate them for feeding. And I make 2 trips a week to the store for fresh veggies for my crew. I also buy celery, 4 stalks at a time and individually wrap each stalk in Aluminum Foil and it stays fresh for a long time.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Oh grrr sorry My Baby Mu I meant mncavylover!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I just looked it over again, and I realized that what I meant was red cabbage--sorry for the confusion everyone! Cabbage isn't great to feed as it can cause gas. I apologize for mixing the two up!

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Oh ok, cool. That's ok mncavylover! I've been thinking that wasn't good for the longest time, lol!
((My avatar is Mr.Stripe on a futon I had just made. I still haven't been able to post pigtures as my mother hasn't let me use the digital cam yet))

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, Ruby! Mr. Stripe is very cute, by the way. =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.