Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping a Piggy comfortable in the hot summer

agripley

Cavy Slave
I am a first time guinea pig mom and I have had my Fonzie (named for his fab hair-do) for about 6 months now and I never knew I would fall so much in love with him!! I got him from the shelter and was told that he did not get along well with other piggys, so I have him in a large cage by himself.
I have his cage set up in my bedroom, but because of where it is in my house, it can get uncomfortably hot in the day time even with the AC on. I noticed that Fonzie was not as active as usual and began bringing him and his cage downstairs to my home office during the daytime. It is much cooler and then we can even spend some more time together. He does not, however, seem to enjoy being alone at night and will be a little sluggish if I do not bring him back upstairs at night. Is it ok to keep this up during the hot summer days? Will he be ok with me moving his cage twice a day (while it is large and awkward to carry, it is pretty light)? Especially if the climate changes (even at night it is still warmer in my bedroom than in my office)?

This may be a little picky, but I'm a new piggy mom and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I was told at the shelter that Fonzie was neglected by his first owner (he even had to have a toe removed because no one ever cut his nails) and I guess now I just want to make sure the rest of his life is comfortable and fun!

Thanks for any advice!

yup - they sure don't like the heat! one of the things i heard about was those freezer ice paks for lunch boxes. my guys LOVE them. i use the larger size - they stay colder longer. i put them insider a white sport sock so they have no direct contact with the plastic. i leave one per pig in their cage, usually next to some place they tend to sleep/rest. they seem to last most of the day.

once afternoon i came home from work to find all three pigs had their heads up against the cool paks while they snoozed the day away!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.