Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Just started drinking ALOT of water...

Fiona7

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, i have a 10.5 week old sow. i posted recently questioning if it was normal in 2 weeks she went from 6oz to 15oz. I was told it was a possible she was pregnant due to her large weight gain. i've done alot of research, not quite sure if she is, since i've only had her for 3 weeks...
also, she's been sneezing about 5+ times a day. light sneezes, no crusty nose or eyes. it was suggested to change her from CareFresh bedding, to Aspen. which i did today..

anyways, today, i put her in her playpen for the first time (just came in the mail last night) and while she was in there eating her veggie and just hanging out, i cleaned her cage. when i put her back into her cage (couple hours ago) she's spent most of her time on her second level, under her water bottle, and drinking more water than i've ever seen her drink.. She's gotten up a few times to eat. but has for the most part remained under her water bottle... something she's never done...

Is there anything that would cause her to drink so much randomly? Should i be concerned?! I'm new to baby guinea pigs. My last one was a couple years old & never had any issues! I don't know if i'm just being paranoid... a vet said 2.5 weeks ago, she was a perfectly healthy sow..

aemsva

Cavy Slave
I am not a vet, but that does seem strange. If she were pregnant, then that could be a reason why she's drinking alot and resting... I would just keep a close eye on her and make sure she is eating and drinking, and of course producing poops and pee. If this continues, you might need to take her into the vets to determine if she is "with pups" or not. Good luck, hope everything turns out ok!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have one that goes on drinking binges. If she were human, she'd be an alcoholic! For several days, every time I look at her she'll be guzzling water down, and then she'll go back to normal for days or weeks at a time.

I'd just suggest doing what I do when she does that, which is weigh her every day. Excessive drinking can be a sign of diabetes, which usually involves weight loss. But if she's not losing weight, and is eating/peeing/pooping/acting normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Fiona7

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! She's alot calmer today than normal, but figured that was cause she went into her playpen for the first time & had to get use to it & what not. Other than spending most of her time laying under her water bottle on 2nd ( she ussually lays under ramp ) She seems to be okay. I'm not sure though. She did get a little moody with me earlier but didn't think much of it.. i hope everythings okay with her. She's not losing weight at all, keeps gaining too much actually.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Excessive thirst is usually a common first symptom of liver or kidney problems, too. Given her age and other factors, though, I wouldn't suspect that or diabetes. All of my animals are drinking more these days because of the warmer weather. I'd keep an eye on her and let her behavior determine what to do next.

Fiona7

Cavy Slave
i'm def watching her like a hawk! She also just started chewing on her cage alot. she never did that before either. I have no clue whats going on with her. =( she has constant hay and chew sticks..

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Some pigs just strongly prefer to chew on things they shouldn't. As long as she's not ingesting the plastic/coroplast/whatever she's chewing on, that's not a likely cause of her increase in water consumption.

Fiona7

Cavy Slave
oh i know that. it just happens to be something else she just started doing today as well as her water consumption. she loves to chew on things. lol. just normally doesn't her cage or atleast not when my dog is trying to sniff her. lol.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Chew sticks are useless. Is the hay high quality?

What has the temp been lately? Pigs will often drink more, and hang out underneath the water bottle when they get too hot.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I am sure it's nothing to worry about, but do weigh her and things others have suggested.

My girls would NEVER drink enough to make a difference in their water levels. Then it got hot in Michigan, and lo and behold, their bottles are halfway gone each day. :D

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=20670]Zuidy[/MENTION], my girls drink a lot in the summer... Not so much in the spring, when it's not as hot. I wouldn't worry too much, but if you'e still unsure, you can take her to the vet if you see fit. But I don't think that it's worth it...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.