Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals Just need to know if my male ridgeback "Mateo" has the Roan gene....

dseraph

Cavy Slave
As the title says my male ridgeback "Mateo", i need to know if he is a roan carrier...worried bout him.

ive added pictures of my little guinea with attitude lol.

Attachments

2012-04-15 22.28.27.jpg 2012-04-15 22.28.41.jpg
You don't need to worry about him -- he's fine. But please don't breed him. Aside from the overpopulation of guinea pigs in the world, his offspring may be lethals.

so is that a yes? i know his fine he's cheeky, really cheeky lol.

He does look like a roan. I have read that if there are spots of hair where the hairs have one color and white, (on an individual hair) they have the roan gene. However, many guinea pigs have this, I think it may be a certain percentage of their body that must have the split color hair to be considered a lethal carrier. However, yours does have a lot of mixed color, and the only worry for lethals is if you bred him, he could breed a lethal. If you were worred he is part lethal or something that might cause heath issues, no worries, a lethal that is in danger is quite obvious, missing, eyes, damaged teeth, all white hair, blind, deaf, paralis, etc. Hope that helped!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.