Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Just got my piggie a friend

CavyFamily

Cavy Slave
So I have posted here before with my sweet Anya. Today I picked her C&C cage up (2x3 grid, def going to expand) and a new cage mate. Hey cage mate whom we named Rue is about 6 months old and yes a female. She bites if you pick her up, which I believe is due to the fact that her last owner was a young teenager, and she makes this high pitch warble alot. Anyway, I introduce her and Anya this afternoon and Anya seems very aggressive towards her, chattering her teeth and whatnot. She allows Rue to eat and drink but if she moves from her corner, Anya charges her. She is not biting nor have I seen any wounds on Rue but I am concerned about them. I gave them both a spray down with guinea pig dry shampoo to help cover the scent but that doesn't seem to be working (i read it on another site) Anya is also pregnant, came to us that way almost two months ago and by my best guess she should be having babies in about two weeks or less. Just concerned about Anya being a bully and will bringing a cage mate this late in her pregnancy cause her to go into labor or anything like that. They also are constantly making this weird squeaking type sound. Please help!:important

[GuineaPigCages.com] Just got my piggie a friend[GuineaPigCages.com] Just got my piggie a friend[GuineaPigCages.com] Just got my piggie a friend Ok so here are my babies, the brown/black/white one is Anya and the black/white one is Rue. Third picture shows how Anya is treating Rue, she lays there and if Rue moves then she takes off after her. Rue is also like a third of the size of Anya, she is a tiny girl.

Can someone please give me advice on this matter. Its going on night #2 and Anya is still picking on Rue. Rue is still biting but at least she is allowing me to pick her up now. Any suggestions? Have changed bedding, toys etc to put them both on neutral ground, given them both baths to remove old smells that might be causing the problems to no avail. They have separate sleeping because Anya will not let Rue sleep in the loft with her so rue has a pigloo on the bottom, but Anya trys to run her out of that as well. Please help! Dont know what to do!

It's normal for the dominance behavior to be spread over a few days. They are just sorting it out, that's all it is. It's something that takes time.

How big is your cage? Sometimes space (or not enough of it) can be cause for scuffles between pigs.

One thing I wanted to mention is the food in the pictures. Guinea pigs need plain pellet food. I noticed you have a pellet mix. Seeds and nuts in pellets are fatty for pigs and can be choking hazards. It also encourages pigs to pick out the mixed in bits and leave the pellets.

So you might want to pick the bits out of the food as best you can until you run through the food and then next time you buy, go for the plain pellets.

The suggested pellets here for quality is kleenmamas. (broken link removed)They are very high quality and made from fresh off the farm hay. They also sell lovely fresh soft hay. Something to consider.

Cute piggies!! I hope they get everything worked out... Anya might be more fiesty because she is pregnant and hopefully will calm down once the baby piggies are a few weeks old.

Just wanted to say that's an awefully big carrot for two pigs, even if Anya is pregnant. I try to give mine smaller pieces so they can each have a piece instead of fighting over one big thing.

Their cage is a 2x3 C&C with a 1x2 loft. I just got this from my friend who made it for me, prior to getting the new cage Anya was in a large pet store cage and the same day I picked up the C&C cage is the day we got Rue. I figured it would be cruel to put two pigs in the pet store cage so I just waited to get the friend until I could pick up the bigger cage.

I didnt know that about the food, I guess I didnt read enough. I will get that taken care of.

Anya doesnt like carrots so no fight there, however I will keep that in mind, Rue loves carrots though and had over half of that gone that night but there is also no fighting over food or water just where Rue can go and cant go.

So should I do anything about Anya picking on Rue or should I just let them sort it out?

anya will be protecting herself from this strange little intruder called rue! she has herself an babies to think about so she will be a bit wary, but im sure itll calm down, dont remove them unless blood is shed and change the food! but other than that it should calm down, maybe put them both on a bed with some lettuce and let them bond a bit insted of thrown into a cage just a thought :) rue is gorgeous btw and congrats on soon to be mum ^^

The dominance behaviour is normal. I would not interfere unless it becomes really ugly, that is if they draw blood. Have you introduced them in neutral territory or in Anya's cage? It is usually better to introduce them in neutral territory first. Also, if you have two piggies, you should have two of everything, that is water bottles, food bowls, hideys, etc. Hope this helps.

Ok, so I sorted the food (was bored and the bag was just bought yesterday) but I took out everything but the pellets. I cleaned the cage again. This was no ones cage, I picked it up before I went and picked up Rue (she was re-homed to me, they offered a cage but I said no) I do have two of everything but pigloos because Anya sleeps in the loft and won't let Rue up there. So Rue has a pigloo on the first floor(not included in the picture because I just cleaned it and still was putting things back in) I am working on making cuddle cups and a fleece forest. Would love any other ideas as to what I can make my babies that they will LOVE!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Just got my piggie a friend[GuineaPigCages.com] Just got my piggie a friend

It's normal for the dominance behavior to be spread over a few days. They are just sorting it out, that's all it is. It's something that takes time.

How big is your cage? Sometimes space (or not enough of it) can be cause for scuffles between pigs.

One thing I wanted to mention is the food in the pictures. Guinea pigs need plain pellet food. I noticed you have a pellet mix. Seeds and nuts in pellets are fatty for pigs and can be choking hazards. It also encourages pigs to pick out the mixed in bits and leave the pellets.

So you might want to pick the bits out of the food as best you can until you run through the food and then next time you buy, go for the plain pellets.

The suggested pellets here for quality is kleenmamas. (broken link removed)They are very high quality and made from fresh off the farm hay. They also sell lovely fresh soft hay. Something to consider.

So I checked out that site you listed for food, needless to say I was very surprised! I figured it was going to be pricey but 25lbs for 18 bucks! What!!:D So I will definitely be buying some of that! Thank You so much!

I'm glad you will be ordering some Kleenmama's pellets. They sell really great hay as well. Very fresh and soft. My pigs going bananas for the pellets and hay.

One note about the size of your cage, a 2X3 (even with a loft) is too small for 2 pigs. That might be contributing to the scuffles. For 2 girls, a 2X4 is just right! So if you can expand is a little bit, it might make all the difference.

Last edited:
So I checked out that site you listed for food, needless to say I was very surprised! I figured it was going to be pricey but 25lbs for 18 bucks! What!!:D So I will definitely be buying some of that! Thank You so much!

It is much cheaper, but don't forget to factor in taxes and shipping when you're ordering. Even with all that it's still cheaper in the long run and totally worth it. I just spent $70 ordering 40lbs of hay and 10 lbs of pellets - when I opened the box today my piggies didn't even want the little bit of hay that was left over from my last order because the new stuff is FRESH!

I can only imagine! I was thinking about making them pots of fresh grass, do you think that is ok? I mean like planting the grass seed in pots so they can be placed in the cage with them to munch on. I have so many projects on my plate now, my husband thinks I have done lost it cause I am like, Oooo I can do this and that and this and the piggies will LOVE IT!!! LOL.

Like last night, I just found out my picky eater pig Anya LOVES Romaine lettuce and my baby Rue loves cucumbers! So now they have a whole drawer in my fridge devoted to their veggies. Is it normal for them to not like fruits though?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.