Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Just got my guinea pig 4 days ago..

LoveCapone1211

Cavy Slave
I just got my guinea pig four days ago from Petco, she was an early Christmas gift from my husband. However, when we got her there was some crusties in her ear, I just wiped them off, I did tons of googling and research on things about guinea pigs, caring for them, what to watch out for.. Well the next day she started sneezing, it was only a couple times but I noticed when I took her out of her cage she had some crusty looking stuff on her nose. I took a damp cloth and gently wiped it off. My husband and I decided that we needed to take her to the vet just incase because I read up about URI. She is still eating and drinking like she has been since we got her, and eating lots of hay. It's hard to determine some other things since she is new to our family and still getting use to us she likes to hang out in her little house. The vet said her breathing was a little wheezy and that she probably has the start of a URI. They prescribed her some Orbax to take once a day orally for 10 days. I was wondering if any one has had any similar problems with their little guineas? Have you heard of Orbax, did it help you? Sorry I'm just really concerned! I don't want nothing to happen to her. I called Petco, because I think the reason for her sickness/cold is due from being brought out of the store into the cold weather into the care.. Once again out of the car into the house.. My poor baby!! All petco said was that if we returned her they would refund my husband back and take her to the vet. Too late I was already in love and didn't want to bring her back so I took her to the vet myself.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your guinea pig is sick, but it happens more often than not when pigs are purchased from pet stores. They're bred and kept in abominable conditions there, and frequently have URIs and other illnesses. I don't think for a minute that it's because you took her from the pet store to the car.

And I'm glad you didn't return her to Petco. Their policy is to euthanize rather than take to the vet, so I'm glad you took her yourself.

Orbax is fine, but you'll need to watch her to make sure she doesn't lose her appetite. If she does, you'll have to be prepared to handfeed, which is a chore. The instructions for handfeeding are at https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html. You'll need to get 50-60 cc of Critical Care or pellet slurry into her every day, as well as additional water. She also needs a probiotic an hour or so before or after every dose of antibiotics. Plain acidophilus will do -- you can crumble it and sprinkle it on lettuce. Benebac for small furry animals would be better if you can find it. Better still would be poop soup from a healthy guinea pig, but it doesn't sound as if you've got another one around.

I'm hoping for the best for the piggy. Do keep us posted on how she's doing.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the information I will go tomorrow ASAP to get the probiotic. Once again thank you. I had no idea about the Petco policy. I'm so glad that we didn't take her back.

How is your little one?

She is still sneezing, and waking up with some crusties on her nose still a little on the eyes. It's been three days so I'm debating on should I call the vet or should I wait til the antibiotic is done. She has been eating a lot and drinking plenty. Usually she sneezes by her hay so my husband thinks that she is having a allergic reaction but I don't think that is the case. She is acting happy though, whenever I get home and give her play time she runs around on me and cuddles up to me, then when I put her in her cage she starts jumping when I open up the bag of hay or give her a hay treat. Should I call the vet tomorrow because she is still sneezing and waking up with crusties?

If she seems like she's feeling ok -- eating, pooping, peeing, running around -- I'd probably wait another day or so and give the antibiotics a little more time. But if you see any signs of her going downhill, then I'd take her immediately back.

The problem is, the vets just have to guess at what the organism is that's causing the infection. Guinea pig noses are too small to get a swab from, and there's too much gunk in their mouths. So they go with the antibiotics that usually take care of URI's. But if your pig happens to have a different organism, the first antibiotic may not take care of it, or at least not as well as another one might.

She seems like she is doing fine, except for the sneezing and little crusties but I will give it a day or two if it keeps happening we will just go back to the vet. Thank you.

Are you weighing her? I'd weigh daily until she's better.

She's not losing any weight, I called the vet today to see what they think. Her nose is clearing up some no crusties today but still whistling in her nose they said to give it a few days and if it's still acting up to bring her in and they will give her more medicine. She's acting really goofy lately jumping alot just being a happy little thing, hope she gets better soon though so we can go get her new friend !

I just wanted to add this question, since it applies:

I've always gone with giving probiotics 1-2 hours after antibiotics. Taking probiotics prior to or at the same time as antibiotics renders the antibiotic less effective and also wipes out some of the probiotic organisms. Should we be recommending providing probiotics after antibiotics, or is there a reason why either before or after is acceptable?

ETA: the whole point of probiotics is to replenish the oranisms in the GI tract that are wiped out by the antibiotic. Giving a probiotic prior to the antibiotic gets it moving through the GI tract ahead of the antibiotic and into areas of the gut that do not yet need replenishment.

That's a good question, Surfing Pigs. It makes a lot of sense to give them afterwards. Maybe the theory behind giving them before is to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut so that there'll be enough left after the antibiotic is taken.

Maybe the theory behind giving them before is to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut so that there'll be enough left after the antibiotic is taken.

That was what I had assumed. It just seems more beneficial to let the antibiotic get to work at full strength, and then supplement the GI tract when supplementation is needed (after ABx introduction) than prior. Giving it in reverse order diminishes the effect of both the probiotics and antibiotics and, though seemingly prudent, offers fewer benefits.

I have been given her probiotics after giving her her medicine went to vet to pickup new medicine so hopefully her sneezing and crusties will go away my poor baby!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.