Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Just got a mouse!

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
So here's the story...

I was in the pet store purchasing some food for my piggy when I noticed there was a large tank with a post-it saying "free to go to a good home" on top of pet displays. In it was a poor looking white mouse, with all the dishes and wheel and everything. My friend and I asked an employee about the little girl, and she said the mouse was surrendered by an owner because she couldn't take care of the little mouse anymore. Based off the condition of the mouse, the employee thought that the mouse was not just a pet, but also for breeding. After checking out the mouse (she was very sweet), we decided to give her a home to spend her twilight years (she's only a year old, but she looks really tattered from the breeding, especially since you can see that she is blind in one eye and her fur looks a bit sparse).

And now Emma is one of our new roommate! I never had a mouse before, but I'm already looking on how to care for her the best way possible. She doesn't seem familiar with fresh food (I put a little bit of romaine lettuce in her bowl) so far but she definitely LOVES her apple chew stick.

Anybody ever had a mouse? How did you get yours? Any tips or basic care to help me get started? Any advice is much appreciated lol

(will post pictures when she's more comfortable.)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
First off, pictures? :p

I've owned mice for the past 4 years, I got mine from friends.
Like guinea pigs, they're social animals so if it's possible for you a friend is something she would really like. They need a grain based diet and like piggy food pet shops sell the wrong foods for most things as the dry food they stock is usually seed based and is just junk food for mice. Mine have their pellets and grain based dried food diet all the time as well as water (duh) and then they also get some fruits every few days and baby food everyday. :)

They love (I mean love!) hammocks, ladders, ropes and climbing walls so a cage with lots of things to climb and chew is a must!
They also loves wheels, and tunnels to run though or hide in while eating their fav treat.

For bedding I use aspen as with the CAREfresh apart from it being expensive they love to dig it up and full their water bowels up with it so aspen by far is my fav bedding. I also use fleece in one level. :)

The mice that I've had have lived for 1.5 to 3 years old. But sadly most of them got cancer and/or blind in the eyes once they were older..they're a lot harder to treat then piggies because they are so small..but my vet and I have been working to give them the best care possible.

Here is a picture of my homemade mouse cage for my 15 girls right now (The picture is old, they have heaps more hammocks and wooden stuff in it now days)

ETA: wow...I'll attach a picture of my cage now days as it's soo much more fun!

Attachments

DSC01838.jpg DSC02714.jpg DSC01837.jpg
Last edited:

Riot101

Cavy Slave
I have 2 little girl mice...They are soooo much fun to watch when you give them the right cage, a buddy and tons of toys.

My mices looooove oatties (but just as a snack as it contains a lot of sugar).

They also love to hang upside down on the roof of the cage...

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Hi,
Its great that you got a mouse.
If it were a buck, it could live alone (actually it would have to) so you'll need to get her two friends. Females need to live in threes, as if one dies, the other two will still have company, Because the amount of time you spend introducing and quarantining the new mouse, the lone mouse could actually be alone for quite a long time, hence having three mice. They do not, as you would think go of in pairs, leaving one of the other out!!! They go round in a three ;)
I hope you have lots of fun with your new mouse(s) and good luck!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=25498]CandyApple[/MENTION]...For bucks, some actually love company of other bucks and it's possible (just like male piggies) to introduce male bucks. I've had a trio of boys and then two pairs do wonderfully and they all got along great, it all depends on the mouse's personality(like male piggies).

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
@CandyApple ...For bucks, some actually love company of other bucks and it's possible (just like male piggies) to introduce male bucks. I've had a trio of boys and then two pairs do wonderfully and they all got along great, it all depends on the mouse's personality(like male piggies).

The reason I said that bucks must not live together is because I am a member of the fun mouse forum. It is their policy to never ever keep bucks together. Reason being, no matter what size cage they were kept in, fights between males were often fatal. In my experience, males do not do well together, and I prefer not to take the risk.
But, to be fair to others who believe in keeping males together, in recent years there has been so much contrivercy about it, that its now half and half. Some believe that males should stay alone, others not.
It really depends on where you obtain your information, and what part of the world you are from. In my experience, after keeping two males together, and having them rip each other heads off, I prefer not to keep them together.
Unlike females, who must have the company of others to survive, and thrive, males don't have to be kept together. My lone buck passed away recently, at the age of four, and he was an example of a mouse who lived happily alone. A female on the other hand would actually quite likely die, due to depression.
So pretty much what I'm saying is males are high risk, keeping them together, but them again if you have a male and you feel he needs company, or has the right personality for a friend, get him one, but be prepared for a separation!!!
[MENTION=23045]RodentCuddles[/MENTION] I do respect your opinion, and that's just my view on bucks :p

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
Thanks so far everyone. [MENTION=23045]RodentCuddles[/MENTION] that looks like a great cage, although too much out of my crafting range. At least Emma enjoyed my makeshift hammock a bit.

Here's a couple of other questions that I came upon: What brand of food is recommend (the previous owner looked like had a mix of seeds, grains, and corn, along with some square treat thingy)? How should I introduce Emma to another female mouse (she is pretty tattered, so I worry she gets bullied)? Also is her aquarium tank an okay home for her (I have another one back home which I'll give to her too, since her tank that she came in smells a bit, I think)?

Anything else that I missed? Also, is there like a mouse forum community?

Thanks again everyone!

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
To answer your aquarium tank question, yes, it's fine. What size of tank is it, though? For two mice it should be AT LEAST a 10 gallon. Better if 15-20 (IMO 3 mice in a 20 gallon max) :)
If the tank smells, it may need to be thoroughly washed out.

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
So I have taken Emma to the vet, and he said that the scab wounds on her back were most likely from being housed with other mice in a too small enclosure (the vet also suspects that her one blind eye was cause by a puncture wound). For now she'll be a lone mouse till her wounds heal and/or other symptoms appear (PLEASE NO LICE!), but I have a friend of a friend who had a pregnant mouse last year, and she's still giving away the "babies," so I'll adopt one of the females she has when Emma is ready.

She is in a (I believe) a ten gallon tank, which I hope is fine for two mice. She also has a bigger wheel, a bigger home to hide in, a ladder, and a (makeshift) hammock! After I do a cage clean, I'll take a picture!

petgal49

Cavy Slave
Can't wait to see a picture!

Little One

Cavy Slave
Awh I'm so glad you took her in!
I have a mouse named Cashew. She's a wild mouse, that I found as a baby (just lying in my laundry room, I have no clue where she came from), so I hand raised her with kitten formula and a new unused paintbrush. She's all grown up now and very spunky. She lives alone, but I don't think she's lonely. Sometimes if I've been handling the guinea pigs or chinchillas and forget to wash my hands, she freaks out and attacks me when I put my hand in the cage to feed her! Other than that she's pretty sweet.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new addition. I miss having my solo male Chi-Chi he passed away 1 year ago this month.

One thing to keep in mind too much veggies can cause them to get loose stools so introduce them slowly. Stay away from corn if you can and give them a good mix of seeds, cereals, lab blocks and cooked food treats. They also like cat food ;) Chi-Chi had 3 a day in his food. He loved it because it was a holistic cat food, not much junk it in.

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
Introducing Emma (in her modest cage):

"I'm in a tunnel!" IMG 1240

You can kinda see her blind eye
The polka dot fabric is her hammock which I place over the top. IMG 1252
"Phew, I'm pooped from being held. Time to eat!" IMG 1251

He fur is coming in nicely. hopefully she'll be ready and strong for a new female companion!

Attachments

IMG_1230.jpg
Last edited:

Aleks

Cavy Slave
That reminds me of how I got the first gerbils that i ever owned. I was about 11 and my mom took me to Petsmart, immediately I noticed a cage with two gerbils in it and a note saying that they were free. My mom didn't want to take them home with us at first because they reminded her too much of mice but I eventually persuaded her to let me keep them. lol
Coco was black and Nut was white. They always snuggled together at night and were best friends. They were soo cute. I wish I had a picture of Coco but i at least have one picture of Nut. :)