Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Just adopted 2 males..

chaseme

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My husband brought our family home 2 males yesterday that he got from a friend. The couple that had them are a retired couple that only had them for when the grand kids came over and kept them in their office. They are 1.5 years and the cage is small (we are going to be fixing that ASAP) but I don't think that they have been socialized very much. We want them to be part of our family and be happy piggies. Any tips on how to help them would be great!

Hi Chaseme, and welcome to the forum!

I would pig-proof a room for them and allow them to have lots of floor time. As for bonding and socializing, try offering small bits of veggies during floor time and lap time.

Thanks Precia, I have a book that say's not to take them out of the cage for a while... Should I skip that step and start giving them floor time now?

To be honest I'm not sure. To be safe, why don't you wait to see what some of the more experienced owners have to say? Sorry for the unhelpful answer.:sorry:

I would keep them in the cage for 2 days. Just to get used to the noises and smells of where they are now. Just so they don't get too stressed out. You can try handfeeding them while they are in their cage for the couple of days, handfeeding helps with bonding since they know you are the one who has the good stuff! Once the couple days is up petting, holding, and floortime is great! Just let them feel settled and secure before moving them around too much! Hope this helps :) (sometimes people recommend more than 2 days, but 2 is a good number. )

Ok Thank you! I'm hoping they will get use to our busy house over the quite (boring) house they were at before. Also I would love to not have bark covering the whole cage.. once I get the new cage set up then can I just make an area and they will use it??

What you can do is switch to fleece bedding and keep their food in a seperate area of the cage. A lot of people call this the "Kitchen". Guinea pigs tend to relieve themselves as they eat so the easiest thing to do is to put their hay in a corner of a litter box. I put carefresh in my boy's litter box and a handful of hay in the corner. He is pretty good about just using the litter box, but guinea pigs are difficult to fully litter train.

No problem! Oh yea, keeping the cage in a "high-traffic" area of the house, or at least somewhere where they can hear things is a good idea so they get used to everything. That will make them more used to noises and in turn, more used to people. BUT about the wood chips. I'd say if you want a litter box, having a little bit of the wood and some hay on top would be a good idea, because they do like to go to the bathroom where they eat and eventually they will learn to "go" where the shavings are. But you could also do the kitchen idea like Precia said. This could be a seperate part of a one-level cage or a small level of a multi-level cage. This part could have shavings if you'd like. It's really up to you! You don't even have to use shavings if you don't want to! They will still pretty much "go" everywhere so I wouldn't rely heavily on the "litter-training", but it does keep the mess confined a little.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.