Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Just added a new guinea pig

Cedesm16

Cavy Slave
I had a guinea pig for a week or two and i just got a 4 week old guinea pig they are both females. The new one is scared and just sits in the corner most of the time, but they were sniffing eachother and butt sniffing. The new one was sitting in the food dish for a little lol. Then they were quietly squeaking to eachother back and forth. and also, The old one was just climbing on top of the new one and she would just sit there as my older one climbed on her. lol.

I just want to make sure this is normal behavior before i leave them alone tonight and also, what are some things that would not be okay?

Will my new baby get used to the cage soon?
BTW the older one is still under a year.

I figured from what i read that they were fine, Thanks :)

A four week old baby is pretty small--is your cage babyproofed?

How old is the bigger guinea pig? Usually females don't mount babies, although it does happen sometimes. Are you sure it's a female? I often see babies trying to hide under older pigs.

Yes its female, and she would climb over her when they were inbetween the cage and the igloo, cuz there was only room for one back there. And babyproofed? what do u mean?
The older one might be 6 months? I just know shes bigger and under a year old.

A four week old baby is pretty small--is your cage babyproofed?

How old is the bigger guinea pig? Usually females don't mount babies, although it does happen sometimes. Are you sure it's a female? I often see babies trying to hide under older pigs.

Yes its female, and she would climb over her when they were inbetween the cage and the igloo, cuz there was only room for one back there. And babyproofed? what do u mean?
The older one might be 6 months? I just know shes bigger and under a year old.

Is your cage a C&C Cage? Babies can get their heads stuck in the grids. Most people babyproof by putting taller coroplast sides in, or using cardboard to make the sides high enough that a baby would not be able to attempt to stick their heads through trying to escape another pig, or just trying to explore.

Also, when introducing pigs it's best to take out any houses with only one entrance, like a pigloo. Pigs can get trapped by other pigs, which is when injuries from bites occur. Use tunnels or houses with two entrances. After the pigs are comfortable with each other (a few weeks) you can put the pigloos back in.

Is your cage a C&C Cage? Babies can get their heads stuck in the grids. Most people babyproof by putting taller coroplast sides in, or using cardboard to make the sides high enough that a baby would not be able to attempt to stick their heads through trying to escape another pig, or just trying to explore.

Also, when introducing pigs it's best to take out any houses with only one entrance, like a pigloo. Pigs can get trapped by other pigs, which is when injuries from bites occur. Use tunnels or houses with two entrances. After the pigs are comfortable with each other (a few weeks) you can put the pigloos back in.

There both sleeping now, but it is a C&C cage, except i dont have coroplast, just towels on the bottom .

You will definitely need to babyproof, the sooner the better. I've had a baby pig get his head stuck, and it's very scary and potentially fatal.

You can use extra grids to overlap the grids you already have. I believe there is a section here somewhere on babyproofing.

Yes, here it is--
https://www.guineapigcages.com/gallery/categories/532/

You will definitely need to babyproof, the sooner the better. I've had a baby pig get his head stuck, and it's very scary and potentially fatal.

You can use extra grids to overlap the grids you already have. I believe there is a section here somewhere on babyproofing.

Yes, here it is--
Baby Proofing - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

I'lll try to do that, but i'll be watching them closely for now, i can't exactly go out and buy the coroplast and i only have 3 grids left. :/

I'lll try to do that, but i'll be watching them closely for now, i can't exactly go out and buy the coroplast and i only have 3 grids left. :/

You need to go buy more grids asap, and until then you should use any cardboard around the house to block the lower squares to keep the baby from getting stuck!!

Yes. Just cut some cardboard and tape it around the edges or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.