Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos Just a fun thread

Guineapiglovr

Cavy Slave
So I'm thinking of chnaging the piggies cage, but not sure how so this fun thr
Code:
ead is just post pictures of your cage to help me come up with a fun idea. Please post picturea

[GuineaPigCages.com] Just a fun thread Gutted entertainment center...each level is 7.4 square feet...males on top, females on bottom...love it...:) :)

@charliespet That cage is two small for your guinea pigs. Going by the site, 7.5 is the very very very bare minimum for two guinea pigs. Meaning bigger is always much better. Also where are the toys, hiddys, ect.

@charliespet That cage is two small for your guinea pigs. Going by the site, 7.5 is the very very very bare minimum for two guinea pigs. Meaning bigger is always much better. Also where are the toys, hiddys, ect.
Well if you'd like I could re-measure, I could have been off by a CENTIMETER LOL It is just fine for them, and the picture was taken right after I finished cleaning and didn't put back their stuff. I love my cage, and so do they! When I measured I didn't add the extra 1/4 inch because it was easier to do the math, and besides, even if it was .1 " to small, that's seriously a little anal.

Just because "bigger is better" doesn't mean everyone wants to have a monster cage. Happy and healthy is the key.

Last edited:
Well if you think about it this way, would you rather live in a world the size of your closet or the size of a football field? Bigger is always better, and makes them happier and healthier. I had my three in a 2x5 which is the minimum for three, and they seemed happy and healthy, however when I gave them an even bigger cage they had more room to run, popcorn, do laps, and enjoy their lives. As long as the cage meets the bare minimums on the site, your pigs can live a relativity good healthy happy life, however more space is better, and I would never even think about putting my pigs in the minimum size cage, I've even thought about expanding the one they have now, because they are so happy when they have so much room to run around, play and do whatever they want.

Well if you think about it this way, would you rather live in a world the size of your closet or the size of a football field? Bigger is always better, and makes them happier and healthier. I had my three in a 2x5 which is the minimum for three, and they seemed happy and healthy, however when I gave them an even bigger cage they had more room to run, popcorn, do laps, and enjoy their lives. As long as the cage meets the bare minimums on the site, your pigs can live a relativity good healthy happy life, however more space is better, and I would never even think about putting my pigs in the minimum size cage, I've even thought about expanding the one they have now, because they are so happy when they have so much room to run around, play and do whatever they want.
Good for you.

@charliespet I think you're being a bit rude. @PigPandemonium s just trying to let you know that she, personally, doesn't PERSONALLY like your cage arrangement. There's no need to get explosive and defensive all of a sudden. She, just like all of us, want the best for our (and each other's) pigs. While a lot of us here dislike aquariums for piggies since they have very, very poor ventilation. For all we know, it could be PlexiGlass and have holes every inch or so drilled in for ventilation. We don't know. As long as they are healthy, happy, and WELL VENTILATED, in the end, it's your decision. Just remember that sometimes a piggies needs and health may not by as convenient as a gutted entertainment center. She just wants your piggies to have the great life they deserve. This is how flame wars start.

I'm not attempting to be mean in any way, just trying to tell you that a 7.4 is below the minimum and in my personal opinion, the minimum is even too small, hence my example of how my guinea pigs are so much happier in a cage bigger than the minimum. I felt it would be right to inform you since you love your guinea pigs and want to give them the best, that a bigger cage would be better. No ill will intended.

Are you sure that is only 7.4 square feet? It looks bigger then that. Just curious, how do you hang up the water bottles?

@charliespet ... I don't think you're being rude. If your guinea pigs are happy and healthy and if you're happy, I think your cages are fine. And honestly, being .1 away from the "minimum" might as well be the minimum. I think your cages are really creative; I like that the guineas are able to be in the more social parts of your house.

@charliespet I think you're being a bit rude. @PigPandemonium s just trying to let you know that she, personally, doesn't PERSONALLY like your cage arrangement. There's no need to get explosive and defensive all of a sudden. She, just like all of us, want the best for our (and each other's) pigs. While a lot of us here dislike aquariums for piggies since they have very, very poor ventilation. For all we know, it could be PlexiGlass and have holes every inch or so drilled in for ventilation. We don't know. As long as they are healthy, happy, and WELL VENTILATED, in the end, it's your decision. Just remember that sometimes a piggies needs and health may not by as convenient as a gutted entertainment center. She just wants your piggies to have the great life they deserve. This is how flame wars start.
I had a C and C cage for both sets of pigs before, I switched to this because it works better for everyone. Rude? Flame war? No. My answer was simple and to the point. There are holes drilled in the top back where the lighting is. There is a 7" gap where the plexiglass is. It wasn't "convienant" to get or make this cage. We had to borrow a trailer, tools, and a friend's garage, spend $200 making it, as well as about 16 hours of work and getting the plexi and wood cut, drilling for the lighting and vent...no, I would say my C and C cage was more convienant.

@charliespet ... I don't think you're being rude. If your guinea pigs are happy and healthy and if you're happy, I think your cages are fine. And honestly, being .1 away from the "minimum" might as well be the minimum. I think your cages are really creative; I like that the guineas are able to be in the more social parts of your house.
Why thank you! That's the very reason I did it. With my house set up the way it is, the only place for my c and c is in the back walk in laundry room. I had them in their own room before we moved here, and hated that they were far away. Now that they are out in the living room, everyone interacts with them more.

Are you sure that is only 7.4 square feet? It looks bigger then that. Just curious, how do you hang up the water bottles?
I am pretty sure that is the right measurement. It's not exact though because the inside board is a centimeter shy of being 19" and the length is 4 c shy of being 56" L It could look bigger too because the I don't count the outside of the cage, just the inner measurement. I am thinking about making another one in a while and having boys in one, girls in the other. The water bottles have a hole drilled in the back that hold them up.

Also, I just want to note, that both my sets of pigs had a 4x2 (grids) c and c cage, and at one point they had a loft. Since they have been in their new cage, they popcorn and look at the lights, and interact more. This cage makes up in length what the other one had in width. I recently posted a video of them playing. If anything I've noticed they have been happier in the new set up, because in their c and c cage (there are pics on my profile) they never popcorned. Esp not my oldest sow. So I must be doing something right.

I think Im going to echo the concern for Air ventilation here. It just a suggestion but only a few holes, even big ones, drilled in doesn't necessarily mean good air flow in a cage like that, it can be easily fixed thought with only a little more work, nothing drastic, and relatively cheap. You just need some small computer fans on the sides near the top, some facing out others facing in, that way there is a constant flow of fresh air coming in and old stale air going out.

Also are you sure you measurements are correct because 19"x56" is only roughly 6.9sqrft.

Other wise that is a very nice looking cage.

very creative and stunningly beautiful. i am in love

I think Im going to echo the concern for Air ventilation here. It just a suggestion but only a few holes, even big ones, drilled in doesn't necessarily mean good air flow in a cage like that, it can be easily fixed thought with only a little more work, nothing drastic, and relatively cheap. You just need some small computer fans on the sides near the top, some facing out others facing in, that way there is a constant flow of fresh air coming in and old stale air going out.

Also are you sure you measurements are correct because 19"x56" is only roughly 6.9sqrft.

Other wise that is a very nice looking cage.

Ok the final measurment without using 16ths and 8ths is 56.5 " by 20.1 inches. When I measured before, I just did a quick not exact measurement. LOL I really didn't think I needed to. As far as the fresh air goes, I am keeping an eye on it, but they seem ok for now, its not muggy or hot in there as there is an AC vent just above the cage.

Yes, I agree, very nice looking cage. Its long enough and i think thats the main thing for being able to run around. The only this you might have problems with is the boys when they go through puberty because they need lots of room to get around each other. Trust me, I went through this and it is not fun lol. But if you did build another one, like you said and gave the boys access to both levels in my opinion you might be ok. Very nice looking cage, very creative. I am a touch bit jealous lol!

Personally I love it! I would LOVE to have one of those cages for my 4 boys (2 I have attempted to introduce several times and they both have had to be hospitalized with stiches and the like.) So I have to have 2 cages. Right now I don't have a minimum sized cage for each pair. I wish I could give them more room but right now its not possible. My apt has only a few walls (very odd layout) and I did not want them in my little kids bedroom NOR under the air conditioner so they are where they are and for males each pair gets along great with eachother. I give them free run of our tiny livingroom twice a day for 1 hour each (and that takes a feat to block off the whole couch) but we each have to determine what we can do so we can give the best care we can.

Not everyone lives in a 2000 square foot home, sometimes 7.5 square feet is what we can do. Just a year ago my 4 piggies had a 3x7 cage but since they could not get along and my youngest was not being the nicest to the piggies (He actually crawled onto the cage and cracked a whole bunch of connectors, bent 2 grids and snapped a number of cable ties) Having LESS space for them is actually MORE safe for them in the long run!

If having a smaller stylish space for the piggies means they will be played with, checked on more how is that NOT better for the piggies?

I think the cage looks fantastic. I also think if the piggies are getting along the minimum is just fine. It's a minimum for a reason.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.