Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Jelly Beans wont eat her treats?

MyraChan

Cavy Slave
I am concerned because she wouldn't eat her yogurt "chips" they look like chocolate chips. I offered her 1. This is the first time too. Any idea? I havent been measuring her other foods. She more active tonight then she been since I got her on the 27th of May. :D

Guinea pigs should have no treats other than veggies, especially yogurt treats, those are very bad for them, so it's actually a great thing she didn't eat them. The main thing a guinea pig should eat is unlimited timothy hay, next being about a cup of veggies per day, and about 1/8 a cup timothy based pellets per day (Pigs under 6 months though should have unlimited alfalfa based pellets)

Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and should never have anything that is dairy. Most store bought treats are bad for pigs. Limit treats to small bits of vege or occasional fruit.

Ditch the yogurt treats; they shouldn't have dairy of any kind. The best treat is fresh fruit (and should still be an occasional treat, as fruit is naturally high in sugar). And you should start measuring what you're feeding her. An eighth of a cup of pellets (ideally timothy hay-based, but alfalfa-based is okay if she's under 6 months old) per day, and a cup or so of fresh vegetables. Romaine, green or red leaf lettuce is best, along with bell pepper and cilantro, and a small baby carrot every other day or so.

the only other thing i'd add is that she hasn't been home with you for very long. i have been a little surprised at how long it has taken my pigs to really get comfortable. i've had the the older guys for several months now, and they're starting to be braver. they easily take food from my hand, they don't run and hide in a panic when i walk by their cage, and sometimes i even see them lounging about outside of their hideys :cool:. so, give your jelly bean time to settle in and don't rush her. give her good veggies, pellets and hay, and lots of love and just watch how she settles in. and don't worry if she's a picky eater - almost all pigs are. my guys always loved zucchini, and now they seem to be on a zucchini strike! >( i still give it to them, though, because one day they'll decide they like it again. too funny! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.