Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ivermectin?!?!?!?!

All4Cavies

Cavy Slave
I believe my piggies have mites. I have read on here that I can dose them myself w/ ivermectin and I have the dosing link for guinealynx saved in my favorites. I was simply curious if the injectable 1% solution was safe for pigs? I wanted to double check before I spent the 40 dollars for it.

All4Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh do I feel like a moron? I found it...Im safe. hehe. I get myself all in a tizzy and cant find anything. Thank you anyway to anyone who reads this. Any tips for getting rid of mites from someone that's had them before would be greatly appreciated though. Im a bit nervous.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
You can treat them with a tube of Revolution {Selamectin} (use puppy/kitten dose, or cat dose, usually is $10 - $14 a single tube). I have used revolution, and I feel it is safe, and I know other people that do too. My piggs have never experienced anything bad happen to them after using Revolution.
GL Link-- https://www.guinealynx.com/medications.html#selamectin

You can treat with what you mentioned above 1% Ivermectin injectable, but $40 is a lot of money to spend, and a lot of Ivermectin that you will never have any use for unless you aquire a herd of piggs.

The cheapest option is Horse Paste Ivermectin Solution which would be given orally, a tube usually costs $7-$10 which you can purchase online, at a feed store, and I have even found it at Petsmart (for $7.99). Generally one tube will treat up 1,250 lbs of horse. You will definitely not have a use for all that ivermectin but you won't be spending as much money.
Oral Dosing:
https://www.guinealynx.com/ivermectin.html#dose

Whole section about Ivermectin:
https://www.guinealynx.com/ivermectin.html

You are generally (except with revolution) are supposed to give at least three treatments, spaced 7-10 days apart.

EDIT: Whoops just read you are going to buy the 1% injectable Ivermectin.

twilla97

Cavy Slave
I have read a little about mites and was wondering how you know if your piggy has them or not.

All4Cavies

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the information, had I not already sent my order through, I would DEFINITELY be doing what you did. I just wasted a lot of money. Oh well, you live and you learn. However, I now will have enough ivermectin to treat every pig I ever come in contact w/. Hehe.

I was just curious, I know for sure my one piggy has mites, should I treat EVERY piggy? I have 4 boys and 4 girls in seperate cages. I would like to treat them all just to be safe. I just wanted to make sure that if I treated my girls *the one w/ mites is a boy* that it wouldnt harm them if they didnt have the mites.

I also have read piggies are born with mites already under their skin, they only act up every once in awhile, is this true? And if so, then would treating them for mites whenever they're not acting up get rid of the mites they were born with?

Sorry this is so long. I just want to be sure I completely understand everything. Im a bit nervous, but on the other hand, home treatment for something like this is MUCH cheaper than the cash I would drop taking all 8 piggies into the vet when it's not necessary. Thank you so much everyone for all of your help, I really do appreciate it.

All4Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh and one more quick question before I forget. The stuff I got is injectable ivermectin, does this mean I will have to use a needle or do then mean injectable as in kind of force feeding with a dropper?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The injectable can be dosed topically. Just follow the instructions from gl. You will have to treat ALL piggies and then treat them 2 more times 7-10 days apart so they get 3 doses.

Katie

Cavy Slave
The injectable can be given topically, you just need to purchase a syringe with a removeable needle (about 3 per pig) to draw it from the vial.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
twilla97 said:
I have read a little about mites and was wondering how you know if your piggy has them or not.
Guinealynx has a page that talks about mites and what to look for. I just tried putting in the URL, but realized that didn't work so well. <sheepish grin>

Some symptoms to look for are excessive scratching, hair loss and scabs.

Hope this helped!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
You need to give three doses, but you probably read that on GL!

All4Cavies

Cavy Slave
Sorry I didnt get back to this post in time to answer your question Twilla... Kat, thank you for answering her for me. I had saw them excessively scratching and a bit of hair loss and immediately went to guinealynx. Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
All4Cavies said:
Sorry I didnt get back to this post in time to answer your question Twilla... Kat, thank you for answering her for me. I had saw them excessively scratching and a bit of hair loss and immediately went to guinealynx. Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.
Not a problem. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.