Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat It's kind of puberty/heat

eco_mama

Cavy Slave
Will a female 'present' to another female if that is her only cage mate?

I am concerned that the pet store have given me a male and a female rather than 2 females as requested.

I've looked at sexing pictures and it's kinda of hard to tell...happy to post pics of rear ends if necessary.

The female who I'm pretty sure is in heat is 'purring' alot and a bit bigger than the other and as I said presenting her bottom to the other cavy.

The other cavy is sniffing her bottom but not trying to mount her.

Help...I definitely do not want babies! Plus I have no facility or budget to be able to get a 2nd cage to separate them.

it seems on closer observation that they are both presenting their bottoms to each other! doing a lot of skipping and jumping...it's quite entertaining. so i guess if they are from the same litter they would go through puberty/their first heat around the same time?

It's possible. Or it's possible the pet store mis-sexed them and you have two males, or a male and female. It happens quite often with pet store pigs. One reason it's better to adopt from a rescue than buy from a pet store.

Rumbling and mounting occur with both females and males. It's usually more of a dominance thing. Perhaps your pigs are trying to figure out who's boss.

It would be very helpful if you could post pictures!

Not only should you post pictures, but you should take a look at Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig. Adult male guinea pigs are usually VERY well endowed in the equipment department -- they're hard to misidentify.

Sounds like you have two females, one in heat and the other confused, or maybe both in heat.

i should have mentioned that they are only 5 weeks old. i'll post pics tomorrow (my time). i think they are trying to figure out who's boss. thanks so much for your help.

Female pigs look more like a Y shape where the males look like an i. They both have a tiny bit of a bump at the top of that area but in males it looks more like an actual little bump or dot than in the females. Plus if you press very gently, and I mean very gently just above the area you can get the penis to come out some to make sure you aren't mistaken.

I have 2 females, and 2 males. My girls rumblestrut (that's what your pigs are doing) on and off every few days or so. One will do it and then sometimes the other will. Usually it's because Lucy is trying to take over the toys and Moo is trying to tell her to share. Our boys do it too, they're almost 6 week so similar in age. One does it and the other is learning. Our first boy Oliver tries to do it but hasn't quite gotten the rumble and the strut down at the same time. Our other boy Chester has the strut but no rumble at all. He usually does it while he's munching hay.

Totally normal behavior for piggies, if you're super worried about male vs. female, take a few well focused bottom shots and myself or someone else on the forum will be able to help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.