Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems itchy skin

cocoagrl

Cavy Slave
My piggie is constantly itching herself. I have had her for over a year but the itching just recently occured. I have did some research that it may be lack of vitamin c or mites. I have a picture of her back that appears to have dry skin on it and thats where she itches most of the time. I also have a picture of her whole back. There is no visible sign of hair loss but when I rub that spot that has flakes a few hairs do come out. I just wanted a second opinion to determine wether it's lack of vitamin c or mites. I do give her veggies and fruit from time to time but maybe not as much as I should so i'm giving her more to see mif the problem clears up. I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks!

[GuineaPigCages.com] itchy skin

[GuineaPigCages.com] itchy skin

It's more likely mites than a vitamin C deficiency. Can you post your photos of her back?

I would treat her for mites. It won't hurt her if she doesn't have them.

alright!! Would it be best if I took her to the vet or could I treat her myself? She is the first pig that I've had, so I am not too familiar with medications.

can you buy this over the counter or do I have to get it from a vet?

You can get the stuff that's used on cows and horses at a feed/seed store. Or you can order the topical, which is easier to use, from (broken link removed), along with the syringes you need to measure it. I think you can also get the topical from (broken link removed). Both those places have online catalogs.

thanks for the info. I made an appointment with the vet just to be extra cautious because I am unfamiliar with this medicine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.