Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Isolating sick piggie and questions

Sarien

Cavy Slave
So I took my piggies to the vet because Butters had a droopy eyelid and she started wheezing. Well, it turns out Butters has a URI, but my other two girls are fine. They did X-Rays to make sure it wasn't pneumonia. After looking over the X-Rays, and seeing everything was, for the most part fine, my vet said it may because of the pine bedding I was using.

I made sure it was kiln dried, but she told me that Butters may have had an allergic reaction to the bedding and she got sick because she spends the most time in the hay loft.

Well, they gave me Baytril for Butters and they adminstered antibiotics to all 3 pigs. They told me if the others develop symptoms, to call right away. The vet even gave me her personal number.

Since Butters is the only one sick and in case what she has is contagious, I was told to isolate her. I cleaned out the hay loft, moved it upstairs into my room and moved her into it. I have to go back in two weeks for a follow up, so I'm guessing I have to keep her isolated for two weeks.

My question is, once she gets better, will I have problems reintroducing her?
Will I be able to just put her back in with her sisters or will I have to reintroduce on neutral ground?

I feel so horrible. All this could have been prevented if I hadn't used the pine bedding, even if it was kiln dried. After all this done I'm switching to fleece in the hay loft. My poor baby.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Whether or not you'll have to reintroduce depend on how long they're separated, how old the pigs are, and their personalities.

But I'm not so sure I'd separate them. If it's truly an URI, they've all already been exposed. If it was just an allergic reaction to the bedding, the others are in no danger.

So I guess I'll put her back in with her sisters. I'll keep an eye on the other two just in case.
Thank you bpatters :)

I doubt it is because of the pine bedding. I have used pine bedding for years, and it has not contributed to any URIs.

Will you be medicating all three pigs? If not, I fail to see why they gave antibiotic shots to the other ones.

I would not isolate her. If the other pigs were going to get whatever she has, they would most likely already have it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.