Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior isolate pregnant mom?

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
Do I need to isolate the pregnant GP from the other female in the cage? Im reading mixed opinions on this. I have them in a 2x3 c&c w/ 2nd level 1x3, and I have the original store bought smaller cage that I put them in while cleaning the big one. Im not sure if its best to leave them together or separate them till after the babies come? I dont want to stress mom out or the other one by making either of them stay alone if its not necessary.

They typically get along well, however about 5 days ago there was a bad fight (their first) with rearing and chasing each other, then after they pretty much keep to their own corners ever since. It was aftert this fight that I checked them out more closly to see if anyone was injured and thats when I started to realize that the one girl was pregnant.

They have only been together for 3 weeks as we just got these, one from Craiglist (Skittles) and the other from the petstore(Snoopy, which we now know is pregnant!)

Snoopy has been very low key, not very active and basically just sits and eats, but Skittles has been a complete nervous nelly acting extremly skittish and keeping her distance since their fight, spends most of her time on the 2nd level or in a corner by herself.

Well, the general rule is not to separate the mom from the rest of the herd. Guinea pig sows generally make very good aunties, and nanny boars are also good with the babies.

But.... If you've had problems as recently as five days ago, I might reconsider that. Can you put the cages side by side so they are very close to each other? And give the one in the smaller cage a lot of floor time? You could put the other female back in immediately after the babies are born at a time when you've got some hours to watch, and see how she and the mom react. If they're ok then, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.