Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is Two a Crowd?

SnickieBugs

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate all answers I get. This past weekend, I bought a new piggie, who was no older than a few months. Unfortunately, when I took him to my vet, I was told he had pneumonia. Only 24 hours later, after giving him his first doses of medicine, he died during the night. I did not have him sharing anything with Snickers, my other guinea pig, and I changed Snicks bedding and washed my hands rigorously after handling Noodle, his medicine, or his cage stuff, so Snicks is safe from developing pneumonia as well. Even though I only had Noodle for a day and a half, I was looking forward to having a second guinea pig, and also Snicks having a buddy. I am looking to buy another guinea pig soon, but I am doing a little more thinking and homework before I do.

Snickers is four and a half years old, has bladder stones, and a large lump on his belly. My vet knows of both, and Snicks has been healthy for over a year since he first became very sick (about April 2010). I know that Guinea Pigs are naturally very social animals, but that males can be aggressive due to territorial drives. I would prefer a male over a female, because I do not want baby piggies. So, my question is, would getting a new piggie be wise at Snicks' age, or would two be a crowd?

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I dont think it actually matters if he will die in a year or 1 hour. I know I would hate to be alone because people knew I was going to die soon. If you plan on keeping piggies for a while I would suggest you get one more male and when Snickers passes in a few year then you can get another for the new piggie. Sorry to hear about your other pggie passing. Where did you get him from?

SnickieBugs

Cavy Slave
Hi Longlostcurls,

I really like your name by the way! Thank you for the response. I got Noodle from an outlet pet store at a farmers market in my area. The pet store has known problems, but I really wanted Noodle as he was really cute and I didn't want him to be there anymore. I am happy, though, that I got to give Noodle a taste of a good home and a proper burial, instead of what the horrid pet store would have done. Thanks again for your response!

Kyla

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I use that name on any forum I go on so I dont have to make all these different names. I use that name because I have recently let my hair grow natural after many years of using relaxers so I always say they are my long lost curls. I know people say that we should not buy piggies from pet stores but they also need to be rescued.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Hi Kyla,

Welcome to GPC! I am sorry for your loss.

As for getting a friend for Snickers, have you thought of contacting rescues in your area and see if they could pair him? Some rescues offer match making. It might be easier for him to choose his own friend. Since the rescue already quarantined the pig, they can meet right away and you won't have to wait 3 weeks to see if they match.

Check www.petfinder.com for adoptable piggies in your area.

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
When we got our first ones from the rescue, the person in charge advised us to get 3. If one died, it wouldnt be as hard on the remaining 2. then just replace the one with another one. It seemed to work out...but when we went to pick out a replacement...we came home with 4 instead of one...they were so cute!
It was hard on me when we lost the first one, getting more helped somehow.
hope that helped.

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I know people say that we should not buy piggies from pet stores but they also need to be rescued.

Unfortunatly though, pet stores are a business - they run on profit which is made by demand and then supply. Each time someone purchases a guinea pig from a pet store, they pet store doesn't look at the reasons said pig was brought, but instead it calculates into "demand" and therefore they order more products (which is what they see the animals as - rather than living animals with feelings) to "supply".

By buying from stores you are creating this demand - which in the long run means more are being bred (and pet stores, again being a business, want profit - and so go to cheap suppliers, which will most likely be poor conditions with back yard breeding - usually back to back breeding of females) and pumped out.

Although walking in to the pet store you may feel sorry for said pig, and the piggy will tug on heart strings - ultimately providing the store with money for the "product" will just equate to them believing "oh, they have gone up in demand, we need the breeder to supply more" which leads to a negative longer term situation for all GPs involved.

I hope this clears up, one of many reasons, why it's not recommended people buy their animals from pet stores.

SnickieBugs

Cavy Slave
That's very true. And Noodle did need to be rescued. I think even the most naive animal person would have a stroke if they had to see how the lady at the store handled Noodle. When I asked her whether he was a boy or a girl, she roughly picked him up, flipped him on his back, while he was squirming really fast, and was pressing very hard on his abdomen. My mom made several comments to her, but she was unfased. I was even angrier at her after I learned he had pneumonia, and picking him up only stressed him :(

I have naturally curly hair myself, so I can understand that :) I wear it curly most of the time, but some days, I want to straighten it flat! :D

Kyla

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I understand that we should not support pet stores when it comes to the animals they sell. But what are we supposed to do? Leave them there to die of malnutrition, boredom and disease? It is a very sad cycle because as long as they bring in piggies there will be people who want to rescue them. @SnickieBugs - I have been natural for about 2 years but recently cut it again because when I straightened it it would not curl back. Very tempermental. I would love to have a curly piggie. Those must be so cute.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I understand that we should not support pet stores when it comes to the animals they sell. But what are we supposed to do? Leave them there to die of malnutrition, boredom and disease? It is a very sad cycle because as long as they bring in piggies there will be people who want to rescue them.
You have to be able to think beyond yourself and see the bigger picture. You can save the one or two you see in the pet store but buying them only perpetuates that sad cycle. It really is a simple principle of supply and demand - if enough people stop buying them, they stop selling them because there's no demand. As long as there are people "rescuing" one or two here and there, they'll always be willing to supply them and replace the merchandise that's purchased.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I think your piggy would love to have a friend to live his remaining years with :) He wouldnt want to die alone. Plus, who know, having another pig friend for him might prolong his life!

thecomfycat

Cavy Slave
I was in the same boat, OP, wondering if I should get my older pig a new friend.

My guinea pig is a 7 year old (neutered) boar, and he has some health issues that I have to manage (long-term) with pain medication. His friend died several months ago, and I was unsure of whether or not to get him a new friend. I talked to my local piggie rescue, and they said they always give their old piggies new friends, so I arranged to meet a piggie they say is sweet and mellow. I'm hoping they get along, and that she cheers him up.

I hope you do decide to get your piggie a friend, SnickieBugs :)

SnickieBugs

Cavy Slave
@longlostcurls- That's not good. It's so odd how hair truly does seem to have a mind of its own. The curly piggies are called Texel guinea pigs. I was looking at them, too, a long time ago, they are really cute! But they are also probably rare.

SnickieBugs

Cavy Slave
That's true, I never thought of that. I'm worrying all this time on the negative effects it might have on him, I didn't consider much of the positives, thanks! :)

SnickieBugs

Cavy Slave
@thecomfycat: I think I will. I really like the responses I have gotten on this post, and I feel more comfortable with buying another piggy. I like the idea of arranging to meet another pig with Snicks with me, I think that will be great for him, so I have to call some of my local animal rescues and foster homes. Snicks has such a big personality, it would be so cute for him to interact and "talk" to another piggy. Thanks so much for all of your responses! :)

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I know you will enjoy watching them interact. When I had Chloe all by herself she was cute but somewhat borin. Since I got another piggy she has been so much happier and fun to watch. You will not regret it and your piggies will thank you for it.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@thecomfycat: I think I will. I really like the responses I have gotten on this post, and I feel more comfortable with buying another piggy. :)

I REALLY hope you mean you feel comfortable ADOPTING another piggy. There's nothing shameful about buying out of ignorance. We can't blame people for not knowing better but you know the harm that comes from furthering the cycle of buying live animals from a pet store and are choosing to do it anyway.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
From all of the information she has been given I feel that she is talking about adopting one. In the same post that you quoted she stated that she likes the idea of taking Snicks to meet another pig. They only do that in rescues.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
@thecomfycat: I think I will. I really like the responses I have gotten on this post, and I feel more comfortable with buying another piggy. I like the idea of arranging to meet another pig with Snicks with me, I think that will be great for him, so I have to call some of my local animal rescues and foster homes. Snicks has such a big personality, it would be so cute for him to interact and "talk" to another piggy. Thanks so much for all of your responses! :)

Please read the whole post first.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I hope youre right longlostcurls. The wording makes me sound like she wants to buy from a store but I really hope she meant adoption.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.