Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is Three REALLY a crowd?

Cheeky Piggy

Cavy Slave
I'm very curios to know the success rate on having three males in one herd?
I'm loving my two babies tremendously, and I'm sort of thinking about a third.
Though, if I'm getting more advice with just sticking with my two boars, then I'll
do the responsible thing, and just stick with my two. I won't be upset or
depressed in any way. The health and well being of my furbabies and others
will always come first. ❤️

I would say get a third, but get an older male because if you get a third baby you'll have three teens fighting for dominance and that's no good.

Thank you so much for the advice. :love: I was a bit hesitant, as I've read that two sometimes is better than three. But, I'll be staying hopeful and positive, and looking onward for some adoptions that are available in my area!

Sufficient space can easily be the difference between males getting along and fighting. If you can put them in a 6x2, that would be ideal. Even more ideal would be a wider cage such as a 3x4, 3x5, etc so that they can run around without always having to confront each other.

3 males can be fine together as long as there is enough space. The cage would have to be at least a 2X6. Males tend to be more territorial so the more space, the better.

Same rule for intro's applies - neutral territory. Don't separate unless there is bloodshed. Keep an eye on them.

Thanks guys! I currently have a 4X4 cage. 4 grid length all the way around- I expanded it earlier this afternoon. Is this still efficient space for 3 guineas? The length isn't there, but it's still quite wide as well. Practically a perfect square. It was the only way it would fit in my living room nicely! Lol!

I currently have a 4X4 cage. Is this still efficient space for 3 guineas?
4x4 is excellent! Even better than 2x8 (which is the same area) because they can avoid confrontations with each other better. One tip that somebody once pointed out to me - If you put all hideys in the center and leave a good 6-12 inches around the entire perimeter of the cage, the pigs will likely do zoomies around the cage. My pigs LOVED it when I cleared around the cage perimeter.

anytime i have thought about introducing a new pig, i've always done so with trepidation. i started with a pair of bonded boys who were about 6 weeks old. i added a third pig a couple months later and the whole dynamic changed. the two bonded boys were actually the ones that ended up fighting so badly i had to separate them. so, now i had a pair and a single. i searched and found another male for my single, did a meet and greet that went well, and brought them home. so now, 2 cages (2x5), 2 pigs in each. but after a few days, the new pig and the original loner started fighting to the point of bloodshed and had to be separated. so now i have a 2x5 with 3 boys and a 2x3 with my loner pig. i'm expanding the cage for the 3 boys since there's still bickering - they need more space. and still looking for a companion for my lone pig. i think i have found an older spayed female up for re-homing. oh, the piggie drama. the point is, you can never tell exactly how the dynamics and relationships will change whenever you mix up what you got. don't let this discourage you, most of the time adding new oigs foes well. just think about all the possibilities and be prepared for whatever your pigs decided in terms of how they want to live and who they want to live with. good luck!

anytime i have thought about introducing a new pig, i've always done so with trepidation. i started with a pair of bonded boys who were about 6 weeks old. i added a third pig a couple months later and the whole dynamic changed. the two bonded boys were actually the ones that ended up fighting so badly i had to separate them. so, now i had a pair and a single. i searched and found another male for my single, did a meet and greet that went well, and brought them home. so now, 2 cages (2x5), 2 pigs in each. but after a few days, the new pig and the original loner started fighting to the point of bloodshed and had to be separated. so now i have a 2x5 with 3 boys and a 2x3 with my loner pig. i'm expanding the cage for the 3 boys since there's still bickering - they need more space. and still looking for a companion for my lone pig. i think i have found an older spayed female up for re-homing. oh, the piggie drama. the point is, you can never tell exactly how the dynamics and relationships will change whenever you mix up what you got. don't let this discourage you, most of the time adding new oigs foes well. just think about all the possibilities and be prepared for whatever your pigs decided in terms of how they want to live and who they want to live with. good luck!

Oh wow... :eye-poppi Well, as unnerving as this sounds, I think I'm still going to give it a go. *chuckles* I'm currently looking for rescue/shelters in my area that have pigs up for adoption. I know that if for whatever reason that it doesn't work out, they'll gladly take the piggy back. Of course... I may have a hard time letting him go. Lol!! So if all goes down hill, a second cage most likely will develop! :D I get attached so quickly to these little bundles of heaven. ❤️ I'm in no rush though. This part- I'll be taking my time to find the exact piggy that will fit best. (Hopefully!) Thank you so much for sharing your story with me! It helped tremendously!

4x4 is excellent! Even better than 2x8 (which is the same area) because they can avoid confrontations with each other better. One tip that somebody once pointed out to me - If you put all hideys in the center and leave a good 6-12 inches around the entire perimeter of the cage, the pigs will likely do zoomies around the cage. My pigs LOVED it when I cleared around the cage perimeter.

Oh my goodness yes! As soon as they got put into there newly extended cage, Boo instantly whizzed around the cage like no tomorrow! Lol! What's even best is that they have a fleece forest installed, and they both just adore it! I think it makes zooming a lot more fun! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.