Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements IS this vitamin C tablet okay to give to my guinea pig?

Guinea Pigzzzzz

Cavy Slave
Well I wanted to get my guinea pigs a vitamin C supplement, and the only ones I could find are 500MG and contain both ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate. Is this okay to give to my guinea pig, note I know guinea pigs are only suppose to get between 10mg and 30 mg per day.
I have no problem crushing up the 500mg tablet and making 5 even lines then splitting those into 4 each.
AND THEY DISCONTINUED THE OXBOW DAILY C HERE IN BRAMPTON, ONTARIO.
Please let me know asap.

About three years ago, I gave my guinea pigs vitamin C supplements. They helped, but what gives the best vitamin C is fresh fruits and vegetables! If you're eating a banana just give a sliver of it to your piggy! Fruits and vegetables are the best source of vitamin C, and they really make their coats shiny! But, if you don't have fruits and vegetables to substitute, or even try- splitting the tablet is a good idea. Do you have a pill cutter? If you do, use that to split the tablet up, and don't draw on the tablet! Hope this helps! :D

A children's plain vitamin C tablet would be ideal -- it would be less likely to have additives. You could split it into the right-sized doses.

A children's plain vitamin C tablet would be ideal -- it would be less likely to have additives. You could split it into the right-sized doses.

Thank you for the reply, but I found a pet store a bit out of the way that actually had some Oxbow daily C.
Just went and picked it up.
Piggies weren't to crazy about it though lol, I had to crush it up and dab it on a small piece of fruit.
I will start sprinkling it over there veggies, they should be okay.

Thank you.

About three years ago, I gave my guinea pigs vitamin C supplements. They helped, but what gives the best vitamin C is fresh fruits and vegetables! If you're eating a banana just give a sliver of it to your piggy! Fruits and vegetables are the best source of vitamin C, and they really make their coats shiny! But, if you don't have fruits and vegetables to substitute, or even try- splitting the tablet is a good idea. Do you have a pill cutter? If you do, use that to split the tablet up, and don't draw on the tablet! Hope this helps! :D

Oo no, I am not taking veggies out of there diet, I just wanted a bit extra supplement for them since I now have 3 pigs and I have to cut up more veggies.
I thought I'd use this as a substitute for a small portion of those veggies.
I will make sure not to give over 25 - 30mg vitamin C a day, I am going to start splitting one pill three ways tomorrow, crushed and sprinkled on the veggies.
They did not take to the pill itself though, I had dabbed it on a piece of apple just to try and see if they will eat it and they did.

Just one other thing, what do you mean do not draw on the tablet?
The pigs wouldn't eat it so I put it between some paper and crushed it to powder then made even lines out of it. Is that okay?

Thank you for the reply.

Ohhh good! My piggies could not survive without veggies! I have three too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.