Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C is this safe or is it the target one that has the warning?

casey's mommy

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) saw the warning and i wanted to double check this would be safe. it also looks like it would be big enough for a 2 by 4 if i rearrange it alittle. please advise. thank you

Unfortunately your link goes to just the Target site, not the actual product. I typed in "Closetmaid 6 cude organizer" and probably found the picture of what you are asking about.

The grids that are shown on the backside of the unit are only 5 squares across, which makes them not safe. A grid is 14 inches wide, so you want to find grinds that are 9 squares across. The ones with 5 or 8 sqaures have openings large enough for piggies to get their heads stuck.

If you have a K-mart near you, these grids work great and are usually on sale.
Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

it was ClosetMaid Wire 6 Cube Organizer White

and i do see what you mean with the 5 by 5 grid. we dont have a k mart so ill just keep looking.

if i got that from kmart online would it be big enough for a 2 by 4?

thank you!!

If you made your sides pretty high, so your pigs can't reach the holes, then you might be able to make them work.

The instructions on the home page suggest 6" coroplast sides, but you could make yours 8", 10", or 12"...not sure what would be tall enough to make it safe though.

Hopefully someone can chime in for assistance.

Like some other threads have stated, another place you could look if you have them around you are Sears and Bed Bath and Beyond. I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond and I like them quite a bit. They have a few grids that come with it that have little clips on them to make a shelf if you used them for their intended purpose. I used them to make a hay rack and it goes on the cage perfect and can be removed if needed quite easily.

Some staples stores have the grids as well as bed bath and beyond. you can order them from walmart and pick them up in your local store. I got the staples link from (broken link removed)

Whitmor Black Wire Storage Cubes - Walmart.com
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Yes, the Walmart unit would give you enough grids for a 2x4 cage. Like you said, you need 12 grids and the package looks like it comes with 16.

You may be short by about 6 connectors though. You could order more from the cage store on this site or I'm sure you could find extras on E-bay or something like that. But the simplest solution would be to go to your local hardware store and pick up a pack of 100 zip-ties that only costs a few bucks.

You could use those 9 grid ones, but double them (like people do for 'babyproofing') you would need twice as many of course.

You could use those 9 grid ones, but double them (like people do for 'babyproofing') you would need twice as many of course.

im confused with why. can you tell me more?

For babyproofing, people ziptie one grid right on top of the other, just skewed over so the grid space is smaller. Like this:

[GuineaPigCages.com] is this safe or is it the target one that has the warning?

I wouldn't think the larger grids would be a problem for older pigs, but my youngest pig could slide right thru the 1.5 inches of space when I first got her. She did it many times hahaa.

The one from Target is the 5x5 and 8x8 squares across. (When you count the space inside each grid, you'll see 5x5 at the back and sides, and 8x8 on the bottom panels)

Here's the link to a closer pic for everyone's reference.
(broken link removed)

The one from Target is the 5x5 and 8x8 squares across. (When you count the space inside each grid, you'll see 5x5 at the back and sides, and 8x8 on the bottom panels)

Here's the link to a closer pic for everyone's reference.
(broken link removed)

yes i see that. i am going with (broken link removed) do i still need to layer them? my boars are full grown and frankly a bit chubby.

The ones from Bed Bath & Beyond are 9x9. They're the safe ones, no need to layer them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.