Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is this piggy pregnant? Or does she look it?

amandatros

Cavy Slave
So I got bored and started looking at CL ads in my area, and found this:
(broken link removed) She appears to have 2 guinea pigs, one male and one female. The one on the bottom looks rather heavy.. And if she is, it kind of P's me off that someone would get a male and female, then she turns up pregnant, and now is trying to get rid of them before she has to take on more responsibility. I'd contact her but I'm not much of an instigator, plus I don't even really know if she's pregnant.

Since she is housed with the male, it's very likely she is pregnant. However, there is a chance that they are either both male or both female since petstores missex all the time. Of course, if that's the case, it would be missexing in the RIGHT direction LOL. It's worth checking into if you are in a position to open your home and heart to a pig.

LOL "not much of an instigator" well obviously you can't wait around for the CL poster to contact you so you would have to be the one to initiate the contact.

"Getting some of my money back" Sounds like someone trying to worm their way out of their responsibility. Either they found out the girl is pregnant and they don't want to deal with babies, or they just don't want the pigs any more.

"Getting some of my money back" Sounds like someone trying to worm their way out of their responsibility. Either they found out the girl is pregnant and they don't want to deal with babies, or they just don't want the pigs any more.

Yeah, I hate that. Clearly the person doesn't have the best interest of the pigs in mind. Makes me wonder why he/she got them in the first place.

Hmmm.... I agree. I think the possibility of her being pregnant is quite high. Especially IF she is housed with a non neutered male. It seems that they've made a HUGE mistake, and don't want the thought or expense of taking care of her and her "upcoming" offspring.

*sigh* This saddens me deeply... :weepy:

Yeah, I hate that. Clearly the person doesn't have the best interest of the pigs in mind. Makes me wonder why he/she got them in the first place.
Me too. Probably the classic going into a pet store and you just have to get two adorable little guinea pigs. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever it is has small children.

Another example of a fickle person in our disposable society. If I'd put Amy and Borat together before I knew he was missexed, and she ended up pregnant as a result, I would have kept the babies or rehomed them to people I know personally. A pet store, and even a shelter, may missex, and I don't think you should get piggies if you're not willing to deal with that possibility.

I just cringe to think of someone adopting those two CL piggies without realizing she's pregnant. I suspect there's another dumping in their future, not to mention that I doubt she's getting the right pre-natal diet.

I suspect there's another dumping in their future, not to mention that I doubt she's getting the right pre-natal diet.

No way is she getting the right pre-natal diet, I'm betting those pigs aren't even getting a proper regular diet. The person probably got them like most 5 year olds do - because they're super cute and without regard to how much care is involved.

Good lord, whatever you do, don't look at the rest of the guinea pig ads on CL from that area. I did so out of curiosity and stopped after these quotes from two of them:

"She is very friendly and loves to be held and played with. Very good with children of all ages. My 3 year carries her around like a doll!"

"Just the guinea, no cage. Comes with water bottle & food dish. There will be a small re-homing fee.. I do have a 10 gallon aquarium,, if interested."

Yikes.

Good lord, whatever you do, don't look at the rest of the guinea pig ads on CL from that area. I did so out of curiosity and stopped after these quotes from two of them:

"She is very friendly and loves to be held and played with. Very good with children of all ages. My 3 year carries her around like a doll!"

"Just the guinea, no cage. Comes with water bottle & food dish. There will be a small re-homing fee.. I do have a 10 gallon aquarium,, if interested."

Yikes.

:mad: :🤦: Geez, it's a good thing BOTH of those people are rehoming their pigs.

@mufasa- Oh wow. That is pretty bad. This makes me feel better about the ads in my area. Although I did see one that advertised a large hamster or guinea pig cage. Then when I clicked on it, it said that with the cage she would also give you her guinea pig. I also saw another person giving away a guinea pig in what the measurements said was a 2X2 C&C. I don't understand why you'd make a C&C if you were going to have the measurements the same as a large pet store cage?

I would love to take them in- but my guinea pig just got over an accidental pregnancy. And with 4 babies, mom, and on the other side of the border dad and dad's friend, I'm running out of room for piggies. Although I do have a friend who's looking to get a friend for her guinea pig so I'm telling her about these ads. We live in a crappy area with three pet stores and a shelter that's only for dogs and cats, so after reading pet store horror stories we're both relying on CL if we ever decide to get any more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.