Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this OK?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is it fine to stuff cozies with fiberfill to make a little pillow for them to sleep on? I made a cozy stuffed with fiberfill because I don't have any batting. It looks like this: I'm going to post instructions on how to make it, but I wanted to make sure if it's fine to use fiberfill instead of batting.

Is fiberfill 100% polyester? If so, then I wouldn't think there is a problem with it, since it should wash pretty thoroughly in the washing machine.

Wait, are you asking me if fiberfill in general or if the stuff that I'm using is 100% polyester?

Your stuff that you used.

I used something similar to make a sleeping pad for my pigs. It didn't hold shape all too well after multiple washings, but there were no health/cleanliness issues.

Oh, OK. Yes, it is. :) So it should be fine? If it collapses or something I can re-stuff it.

Yes, so far as I know, fibrefill should be fine, and folk usually use batting because of the prolonged shape and structure it offers.

Fibre fill if it's stuffed well enough should work fine, without going into lumps and flat spots as it can do if there's not enough in there or not stuffed well, or not quilted into place. When making teddy bears you need to stuff a huge amount in, in very tiny shreds, to ensure the shape is held and the bear body is uniformly firm and not lumpy, but for a piggy bed all you need to ensure is that there is enough to cushion piglet's weight off the floor, since it's their :melodrama comfort lol ! you are aiming at. Looks like they could snuggle back into those walls quite nicely!!

You might want to make a wedge cushion to push into the join If the sleeping cushion runs flat in the join area, you know what I mean? Probably you won't need that, it's hard to tell from a picture sometimes, and I'm just thinking of contingencies here for you.

I really like it, I could see it with a little fleece forest hanging from the roof for added privacy... Maximus von Lichtenwalder would love that!

OK, thanks, KiwiCavyAdorer. The sleeping cushion is stuffed thicker than the walls. I stuffed the walls so it wouldn't flop over. Just the top is flat. The funny thing is, that Marble doesn't want anything to do with it and Twix sits in it all the time with his butt sticking out. :D

You're welcome!

haha that sounds too cute - a great advertising pigture??

Lol, yeah, and then he spazzes out if I try to take him out of the cozy to give him his veggies. :)

Cozy over veggies - says quite a lot for your creation!! :D

:D Thanks! Lol, yeah. Twix LOVES it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.