Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is this Normal?

animalhouse

Cavy Slave
I adopted 2 male Pigs. One from SPCA and one from a person that could no longer keep him. They were both housed with other male pigs before i got them. So, I was hoping they could be friends. All though, I know it is possible that they wont. The one from the SPCA is a Unknown age, as they weren't sure. He was a "Stray". The other pig I was told he was 1yr old. I kept them separate for around 4 weeks. I was gathering all my supplies I needed to build them a nice big cage! Well I got all the supplies and built them a huge 2x6 C&C cage with a little 1x1 area for the "Kitchen". I did the intros in there as it was neuteral and clean. There was a LOT of mounting, purring and about 20min in.. Teeth chattering. They had a bit of a "fight" I guess you can call it. No blood drawn, So I left them be. Then Gandalf (The pig from SPCA) went and layed down in the corner of the cage, and Frodo (The other pig) went on his merry way. Frodo is eating, pooping, talking to me.. Everything normal. Gandalf is still teeth chattering, and Frodo isn't even near him. Gandalf wont eat, and wont move from the corner of the cage. I Moved the 2nd hay bin and food and water bottle on that side, and he is not interested.

Last time I had a pair of pigs they were girls, and got along wonderfully from the start. So, this is my first time with male pigs and I am not sure what is normal. I see on the size, it is technically ok for 4 pigs, and I have only 2 in there. So I figured it was enough space. I have 2 food bowls, 2 water bottles and 2 hay bins. :( Is this normal? Should I put Gandalf back in his smaller cage?! Or is this all normal? I really am not sure what to do. I Intro'd them about 2.5 hrs ago. I watched them for the first 45 min. Then I been checking on them every 20 min or so since.

Thanks for any ideas or help!

I would give them time to settle in. If no blood is drawn they should be OK. Some pigs get along right away, and others can take some time. Having multiples of everything and using hideys with more than 1 entrance helps a lot.
Did you check to make sure they are both males?

No, let them alone. Sounds to me like it's going well. Only separate them if they're fighting to the point of drawing blood.

Shew! Ok thanks! Ease my mind a little. I am new to the Boar multiples haha

There is no blood drawn, But they are on a mounting fest right now!

i have found soooo much just depends on their individual personalities. i currently have 5 pigs - 4 males and 1 spayed female. some of them settled in very quickly. some of them took much longer. i have one pig that took months before he was brave enough to spend much time outside his cuddle corner. i was always envious when i saw people post pictures of their pigs stretched out in the cage, out in the open! lo and behold, i saw george and newman both sprawled out yesterday (probably because of the heat) for the first time. i got them back in october!! they'll figure things out. remember - they have a new house and a new roomate! that's alot to deal with for anyone, human or beast!

i have found soooo much just depends on their individual personalities. i currently have 5 pigs - 4 males and 1 spayed female. some of them settled in very quickly. some of them took much longer. i have one pig that took months before he was brave enough to spend much time outside his cuddle corner. i was always envious when i saw people post pictures of their pigs stretched out in the cage, out in the open! lo and behold, i saw george and newman both sprawled out yesterday (probably because of the heat) for the first time. i got them back in october!! they'll figure things out. remember - they have a new house and a new roomate! that's alot to deal with for anyone, human or beast!

Thanks for this! I love my boys, and hate to say it but Gandalf is my baby! I would hate to stress him out anymore then needed! They seem to be doing better today YAY! :) They are talking to me, and when it was veggie time they screamed at me to hurry! haha There is still some rumbling and mounting, but the amt has come down a lot. I have 2 tube things and a PVC corner pipe in there right now and they never use the PVC pipe, but do go in the tube things some. But they never "Lay" in them persay. But they both will sprawl out in the middle of the cage and go to sleep. I got some more fleece today so I am washing it and I am going to make a couple fleece forests for them :) Once I get it all pretty I will post a picture to show everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.