Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is this normal?

momma2three

Cavy Slave
I am VERY new to guinea pigs. I had one when I was a child, but after reading through this site, I realize I really know nothing about them! I just got another one about 4 days ago from a pet store. When I saw her, she was playing, running around, etc. Since getting her home, she won't come out of her pigloo. :sad: I was worried she wouldn't eat, so I put some hay and food in the pigloo for her and she did eat it. She has come out a few times to get water, but she goes right back. When I hold her, she shakes and tries to burrow in my shirt. I want to make her comfortable around me, but I'm not sure how to do it! She does run around when I give her floor time, but even then it's only for a little while, then she's running to the nearest hiding place. Help!!

Guinea pigs are almost always shy when they first come home, especially if they are the only pig. Give her some time to adjust, then try hand-feeding her some veggies while talking quietly to her.

Guinea pigs are almost always shy when they first come home, especially if they are the only pig. Give her some time to adjust, then try hand-feeding her some veggies while talking quietly to her.

Thanks. I will try that! I'm getting a 2nd piggie tomorrow, so I am hoping that helps a little. I'm thinking she might be lonely.

She is currently just shy. She will eat. They are little piggies and will find a way to eat.
Ditto to the hand feeding. Even if it is just some bits of hay or lettuce. She will realize that good things come from you and will soon settle down.

I would wait before getting a second piggy. Pet store pigs are notorious for having illnesses that don't show up for a while. I got Mufasa at a pet store, and he had a URI but I had no idea. He had no symptoms, other than very minor wetness on his nose, until the day before he died, which was 15 days after I bought him. I would stick with one pig for now and keep a close eye for the next 2-3 weeks.

The hiding sounds mainly like shyness, so hopefully your new friend is healthy and just needs some adjustment time.

I agree. The ones at the pet stores aren't necessarily in good condition. Why don't you try checking out the rescue centers or even the adoption subcategory of this forum for guinea pigs? One, it's cheaper. Two, why not give a home to unwanted cavies?

If you get a new pig tomorrow, don't put the two together for three weeks unless you have no problems with paying double vet bills if one infects the other with something. You don't know that the one you just got isn't sick, since you haven't had her long enough to know what her normal behavior is like.

You won't know whether the new one has a disease, either. That's why pigs should be quarantined for three weeks.

I agree. The ones at the pet stores aren't necessarily in good condition. Why don't you try checking out the rescue centers or even the adoption subcategory of this forum for guinea pigs? One, it's cheaper. Two, why not give a home to unwanted cavies?

The one I am getting is from an ad online. The owner doesn't have time to give her the attention she needs.

If you get a new pig tomorrow, don't put the two together for three weeks unless you have no problems with paying double vet bills if one infects the other with something. You don't know that the one you just got isn't sick, since you haven't had her long enough to know what her normal behavior is like.

You won't know whether the new one has a disease, either. That's why pigs should be quarantined for three weeks.

I can keep them separate. I am going to take Princess to the vet this week anyway, so I will talk to them while I'm there.

That's great that you can keep them separated for a quarantine period. After Mufasa died, I got one pig at a shelter and another one from an online ad, and I've had great luck with both. The good thing about getting one from a private party is that they've been in a home rather than a store where they're more likely to be exposed to other sick piggies. Good luck with your new brood, and beware: you will be their slave in no time.

I would wait before getting a second piggy. Pet store pigs are notorious for having illnesses that don't show up for a while. I got Mufasa at a pet store, and he had a URI but I had no idea. He had no symptoms, other than very minor wetness on his nose, until the day before he died, which was 15 days after I bought him. I would stick with one pig for now and keep a close eye for the next 2-3 weeks.

The hiding sounds mainly like shyness, so hopefully your new friend is healthy and just needs some adjustment time.

That and they are commonly missexed.
Even online posters wanting to get rid of their piggies will accidentally missexed them. At a younger age guinea pigs are a tab=d harder to sex, But once their atleast a year old it is quite easy to tell apart boy from girl.

I can keep them separate. I am going to take Princess to the vet this week anyway, so I will talk to them while I'm there.

I'm ecstatic that you are taking up the responsible pet parent role by taking your guinea into a vet. Is the vet an exotic vet? I take Whistles in every year for a general health check up and to get his slow growing ONE black nail clipped.
Let us know how her visit goes. :)

Update: Tonight when Princess had floor time, I was sitting in the room with her and she ran around for a little while, then she came to me and climbed up in my lap and just snuggled right in! I about melted!!! And she's out of her pigloo more often now :) The kids still make her nervous, but she's definitely warming up to me.

Awwwww that's great! :) So glad she seems to be more comfortable around you. Doesn't it just melt your heart when they initiate an interaction? Like they are choosing to be close to YOU rather than running away from you.

At a younger age guinea pigs are a tab=d harder to sex, But once their atleast a year old it is quite easy to tell apart boy from girl.

It's usually quite easy to tell month-old pigs apart, or even younger, much less a year.

I'm ecstatic that you are taking up the responsible pet parent role by taking your guinea into a vet. Is the vet an exotic vet? I take Whistles in every year for a general health check up and to get his slow growing ONE black nail clipped.
Let us know how her visit goes. :)[/QUOTE]

I just saw this, sorry. The vet I am taking her to comes highly recommended by a friend who takes her cats there. And when I talked to them on the phone, they said they see a lot of guinea pigs. And I am scared to trim her nails because I'm afraid I will hurt her, so I'm going to have them do it... maybe one day...

Awwwww that's great! :) So glad she seems to be more comfortable around you. Doesn't it just melt your heart when they initiate an interaction? Like they are choosing to be close to YOU rather than running away from you.

Yes!! I was sooo happy! She let my son hold her for a couple minutes, also, but then she started sniffing around and came back to me :) Love it!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Is this normal? Me & Princess tonight :)

Princess is an adorable little piggy!! Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see you're making progress with your little princess - don't forget to post pigtures when you get your new furbaby!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.