Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Is this normal?

Cavylicious

Cavy Slave
I have two sows who are both turning 12 months old next month. I weighed them today and they were both over a 1000g. From memory the largest one was around 1100g (I know I know... I should really write their weights down. I will from now on!).

Is that normal? I read somewhere that the normal weight for female guinea pigs is between 700-900g. Are they overweight? What are healthy adult sows actually supposed to weigh?

My Abby sow is 900 g, and actually very trim looking even though she is on the north end of the standardized weight charts. On the other hand, I have Oink, who is 1100+ grams. Definitely a chunk, though she is longer and her skeletal frame is larger. I know, "big boned" isn't exactly an excuse.

This is a helpful guide on weight:

https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

I like it because it accounts for the variable size of pigs, how they take in food, importance of changes, etc. I can tell you, though, that Oink is the one of my four pigs who does not seem to self-regulate on food. The other three will walk away even from veg if they aren't hungry. Oink will eat everyone's food and still look for more. Makes feeding the pellets and veg more interesting (!!!). They always have fresh hay, of course.

My pigs are all inthe 900-1000gm range, but Daisy is plump, and all the others are rescues I'm trying to get to gain wieght. I was just at the rescue I got my 3 girls from, and she has some boars that are just HUGE. Not fat, just 2-3 inches longer than any other pigs I've seen. Even among my own pigs, there is such a size range that "normal" weight is really hard to determine. I just feel them, and if they have some chub, it's good; if I feel boney hips, he stills needs to gain.

My girls sit well between 900 - 1200g. The only reason I would be concerned if if the weight gain continued at a high rate.
Keep weighing her and you should find that her weight will plateau soon.

My sow is 800g and she is chubby.

There is no way of telling whether some weight is okay without looking at the pet I guess.
But I think 700-900 isn´t right. I would say normal female cavies are more between 900 and 1200. And males between 1000 and 1400.

But its just very different. Right now I have a cavy with about 1150 that is in no way fat, not even a little, but I also have a pig with 780 or so. Which I don´t think is a normal weight for a grown guinea pig, but she is pretty small and whith 900 she would be fat.

Just like humans, every guinea pig is unique. Some are small, while other's are larger. My girl is very chubby(pear shaped body and not pregnant), and like I said she is 800. She gets unlimited Oxbow Orchard grass, Oxbow adult pellets, and cup of fresh veggies everyday. You can't say that it's not healthy for a guinea pig to be under 900 just because yours are not. If your guinea pigs body shape looks healthy, but she weighs a lot, don't worry. She probably is just a larger size guinea pig.

Yeah, I thought the 700-900g weight range was a bit low! I don't know where GuineaLynx got that data from because that seems very small for an adult sow. I weighed them again today and here are their actual weights:

[GuineaPigCages.com] Is this normal?[GuineaPigCages.com] Is this normal?

I guess I just thought it was strange that two guinea pigs from the same litter, being fed the same things, could be so different in weight. I thought maybe Daisy (the bigger one) was stealing all the food, but after some observation that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for your help everyone!

Cute scale!

Thanks! It's from IKEA (my obsession!). It only cost about $10 AU. It's probably cheaper in the U.S. Almost everything I have for my piggies is pink. Good thing they're girls. If they were boys it would be a bit awkward having all-pink stuff :p

700-900 grams is way low for most sows -- those are very old figures. I've got one at 1275 and one at 1300 grams, and neither is fat.

What I liked about the guinealynx page was the part about "feeling" your piggy and getting a sense of what proportions are. Our boar Picckalo is at about 1200 grams and by no means even chunky -- he's a large-framed and long boar. Triton is a smaller boar but also not chunky at 1050 grams. Oink is definitely a little more chubs.

Even though I've had Jumble, our first, for almost a year, I still feel like a novice on the health issues. One of the first books we got on piggies noted that a pig with Oink's proportions would be considered "show quality," which they said was equivalent to being obese. (I realized after more research that there were few really good piggy books, but that stuck with me.)

My sow has a petite frame. She weighs 1080 grams, but since she's so short and squat, she looks chubby. My neutered boar weighs 1230 grams. He is quite tall and he looks long and lean.
Pigs come in all shapes and sizes like people do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.