Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Is this mites?

Sonica1031

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I?m a New Guinea pig owner, and before you guys roast me, please know I am planning to put this guinea pig with my boar Bradley. I have a 2x 6 cage for the both of them. She is temporarily in this pet store cage until Bradley is neutered. Also she had a hay rack, but she kept knocking it over and climbing into it, so I opted for just giving her hay on the ground. I?ve only had her for a couple days, but I?m worried she has mites. I?ve got her in a separate room from Bradley, my boar, until I am sure she is clear of any illnesses. I do plan to take her to the vet this Friday with Bradley, but so far they are separate.

Attachments

6E1BB35B-42A4-4269-AE92-057A78BD284A.jpg DB26BC75-4944-4A78-9921-DE32976E5AC1.jpg
Why do you think she has mites?

On the middle of her forehead and on parts of her body like behind her ears she has missing fur patches, but I?m not sure if it?s just because she has white fur so the pink stands out more or what. Also when I first got her she was scratching a lot and popcorning, but I?m not sure if it was from terror, which I wasn?t anywhere near her and I know it wasn?t because she was happy. I got her from a pet store, so I really don?t trust that she is in perfect health. I actually had two males that I got from a Petco and they both had upper respitory infections, these were my first guinea pigs, so I knew nothing going into this other than they are herd animals and need to be in pairs. I got them the biggest pet store cage(which I?ve since replaced with a c &c cage)and their little houses and wood blocks to chew. And then when they were sick I took them back to Petco. Petco kept them for a week until they were ?better?. I took them to a vet 2 days later because I wanted them sexed and just a routine check up. I really wanted to do a good job of taking care of them. Well they were both still sick, and I gave them medicine every 12 hours. Well, I woke up one morning and one of my babies was dead. But Bradley, when Gary went missing, started going ballistic and was terrified of me. Like I was going to hurt him, so I went out and got him a New Guinea mate. But I can?t put them together yet, I picked a girl this time because there was a lot of stuff about male guineas doing better with sows. I just have to neuter him or her. There are more risks if I get her neutered, so I figured I?d get Bradley neutered. If anyone wants to give me any information that could potentially help my situation, like exotic vets in okc skilled in neutering guinea pigs or even just looking at the picture and seeing if it looks normal, because I really am new to guineas I?d appreciate it greatly. After she gets a full check up at the vet, I?m going to cut the 2 x 6 cage in half by putting up some grids, so she?ll have more space and they won?t be alone anymore. I?m just waiting till I take her and him to the vet on Friday. Sorry for the long explanation, but I want everyone?s full understanding so that they can give me their wisdom. Lol

All guinea pigs have bald spots behind their ears. And if the bald spot on her forehead is in the middle of a whorl of hair, that's perfectly normal. Mites usually, but not always, affect the back, sides and flanks. In severe cases, there'll be a loss of hair in a V pattern, from the middle of the back down toward each haunch. The pig is trying to bite itself, and that's what it can reach.

FYI, if you'll break your posts into shorter paragraphs, more people will read and respond. Most people will just skip a post that's a "wall of text" because it's too hard to pick out the pertinent information.

If you're going to house an unneutered male next to a sow, you need a lid on HER cage. A determined male can lift the lid on his own cage, but can't raise the lid on a female's cage.

All guinea pigs have bald spots behind their ears. And if the bald spot on her forehead is in the middle of a whorl of hair, that's perfectly normal. Mites usually, but not always, affect the back, sides and flanks. In severe cases, there'll be a loss of hair in a V pattern, from the middle of the back down toward each haunch. The pig is trying to bite itself, and that's what it can reach.

FYI, if you'll break your posts into shorter paragraphs, more people will read and respond. Most people will just skip a post that's a "wall of text" because it's too hard to pick out the pertinent information.

If you're going to house an unneutered male next to a sow, you need a lid on HER cage. A determined male can lift the lid on his own cage, but can't raise the lid on a female's cage.
what would you suggest to use as a lid? Should I just get more of the grids? I don?t think I want to use grids because it?ll be hard to get her in and out of the cage?

Closet shelving makes an awesome lid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.