Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this just a female piggie thing?

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
Lately my little Hope has been somewhat on the bratty side. I could use the other"B" word, but " bratty" might be a little more appropriate for here. Anyway, when I have picked her up out of her cage lately, she gets to where she does not want to be held. She will try and bite, and a few times she has bitten rather hard. She isn't a bad piggie, but her behavior lately has not been very nice. Are female piggies a little more tempermental than males? :confused: Would like some feedback on this.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
How long have you had Hope? How old is she? Where did you get her from? How often do you get her out to hold her? How often does she get out for floortime?

I am trying to get some background so I can try to give some advice!

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Is she obnoxious and pmsy to her cagemates? That could be a sign of hormonal problems such as ovarian cysts.

LucyJane

Cavy Slave
Is it possible that she could be pregnant?

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
I have had Hope for about a couple of months. I do not think she is pregnant. She was fairely young when I got her, about 7 weeks or so I was told. I did get her at a pet store in Soldotna where I live. At the time I got her, I did not know much or where to get guinea pigs. And where I live, do not know of any guinea pig rescues. She seems to act more pmsy, than anything. And lately, haven't really held her much. And do not think she is ill as far having a cyst. She is to energetic to be ill, and she eat real well. She is my only one I have, but would love to get another one. But need a bigger cage first. And as far a floor time, I am still trying to figure out where would be the best place for her where she could run, and get lot of exercise, but be safe as well. The other day when I was cleaning her cage in the bathroom, I let her out in the bathroom with me, but kept the door closed. But all she did was go under one of the towel racks and stay there. Guess she is not sure what floor time is all about yet. But would like to let her have more floor time as soon as I can figure out where would be the best place.:eek:ptimist:

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
Sometimes when I take her out of her cage, and I am holding her, she will nip and try to bite me. Is there a way to get her not to do that?
Also, last night I took her out of her cage, and was sitting on the couch with her, and had my fleece blanket on me. I put her on it, then brought some of it up to make it look like she was in a little fleece cave. She seemed to really like that. So maybe I should get some fleece, and make it up something like a little cave, and put it in her cage. Would like feed back on her biting and about making something for her out of fleece.:)

CavyLover94

Cavy Slave
I have a little "tent" in my cage. The pigs spend almost all of their time under it. Just clip it to the side of the cage and you're done!

I don't have any advice about the biting though. I have six pigs but only one female and she's a little ball of sugar. Sorry but good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.