Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Is this blood in her urine?

flowerpaw

Cavy Slave
My piggy Ten just recovered from some crystals in her bladder (started May 2), by drinking lots of water & taking Baytril for 10 days. Now I think I might’ve discovered more blood in her urine, but I’m not sure:(
Is this blood in her urine?

Is this blood in her urine?

She’s been acting completely normal aside from drinking more water, and her weight is the same.
Her bottom isn’t always wet when I pick her up, it might just be those times I catch her when she’s peeing.

The top picture may well be blood in the urine. When you're seeing pink-tinged wet spots, or when there are small clots in the middle of a wet spot, it's very suggestive of bleeding from the bladder.

The bottom one I'm not so sure about. It could be, but that's an odd shape for a blood clot from the bladder. Blood clots in the cage that aren't in the middle of a place where she's peed are more likely to be from the reproductive tract, but they often (but not always) have some mucus attached to them.

I'd put her on some sort of bedding that would make the problem a little more obvious. A piece of white fleece would be good as long as it has some absorbent layer underneath it. Then keep an eye on her for a few days and take pictures of anything concerning that you can see, and show them to the vet.

It seems that @bpatters and I most often agree, so I won't repeat what she has said. However, I don't think that the top pic indicates blood in the urine. It's a bit indistinct and I would need more evidence to concur. To me, it appears to be oxidized urine that often appears as an orange or orange/red/brown tint.

Your thoughts?

The top picture may well be blood in the urine. When you're seeing pink-tinged wet spots, or when there are small clots in the middle of a wet spot, it's very suggestive of bleeding from the bladder.

The bottom one I'm not so sure about. It could be, but that's an odd shape for a blood clot from the bladder. Blood clots in the cage that aren't in the middle of a place where she's peed are more likely to be from the reproductive tract, but they often (but not always) have some mucus attached to them.

I'd put her on some sort of bedding that would make the problem a little more obvious. A piece of white fleece would be good as long as it has some absorbent layer underneath it. Then keep an eye on her for a few days and take pictures of anything concerning that you can see, and show them to the vet.
Thank you! I did do a couple more tests on towels and it does seem to be blood:(