Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Is this big enough?

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone! I am planning out my cage, and was wanting your advice on if it would be a good size. I have room for a 2 x 10, and have two bunnies. For now, until they are neutered, I am going to split the cage into a 2 x 5 for each. I am also looking into getting a pair of piggies also. Once the boys get neutered, I'll have them share a 2 x 6 cage. Then the future piggies will share the remaining 2 x 4. I am also having one upper level for the bunnies, one upper level for the piggies. There will be a 2 x 10 storage area underneath. I understand for rabbits it will need to be 2 grids high for the cage, and with a cover. There are some Target grids on sale at my local Target, so I am thinking of taking advantage of the sale and buying a couple packs for the stand. Of course, I'll use the C&C usual grids for the cages. :) Just wanted to know if this was an appropriate size. All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank You in advance! :D

It completely depends on the gender of the pigs, and how well bonded they are.
I wouldn't put two boys in a 2x4, and my two girls can't even get along in a 2x5 that I really need to expand. Just make sure you get a pair of well bonded calm sows. The issue with certain girls is being in heat every two weeks where there could be a lot of drama created, so ask the shelter about this as well.

I also wouldn't put the pigs cage right next to the rabbits with the risk of pasteurella spreading & causing potential lethal illnesses. Also make sure you never touch the rabbits, the rabbit cage or accessories before interacting with the pigs. It might be better to just focus on your rabbits for now & build them a permanent larger cage.

I have heard about pasteurella, but I have heard somewhere in a book or something that there is a vaccine for pasteurella? Is that true?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.