Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Is this a good guinea pig menu??

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
After doing some research i made this menu. I felt like my guinea pigs needed more because i was giving them a carrot and one leaf of romaine lettuce per pig so i made this.

Is this ok? Does it need more? Less? Is something actually bad?

This is per guinea pig

Is there anything i should add or remove or change??

Monday-
2-leaf of romaine
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot
2 sprigs of parsley
1/8th of a green pepper
2 sprigs of kale
1 slice of cucumber

tuesday
2 leaf of red lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot
1/8 a pepper
2 sprigs of collard
1 tree of broccoli

wednesday
2 leaf of romaine
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot
2 sprigs of parsley
1/8th a green pepper
2 sprigs of mustard greens
1 slice of cucumber

thursday
2 leaf of red lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot
1/8 a pepper
2 sprigs of kale
2 sprigs of collard
1 slice of apple

friday
2 leaf of romaine
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot
2 sprigs of parsley
1/8th a green pepper
1 slice of cucumber

saturday
2 leaf of red lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot
1/8 a pepper
1 tree of Broccoli
1 slice of cucumber

sunday
2 leaf of romaine
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot
2 sprigs of parsley
1/8th a green pepper
2 sprigs of collard
1 slice of apple

thanks also are they getting enough fruit?

Can you let us know how old your pigs are? That would dictate what foods I would feed more/less of.

Are these being broken down into 2 feedings a day? Due to the nature of their GI tract, it is more beneficial to break the feedings into 2 portions.

Without knowing ages, I will assume your pigs are over 6 months of age and recommend the following:

I woulnd't feed a carrot daily, every other day would probably be better.

Some pigs have issues with calcium in romaine. I don't feed romaine, but by your menu, I would try to replace the romaine twice a week with green leaf lettuce. The parsley is fine but I feed it only twice a week, it is really high in oxalic acid which can cause stones.

I do feed more bell pepper than you, closer to 1/4 pepper per pig a day, due to the vitamin c content and overall nutritional value. My pigs also get a bit more cilantro.

I would also add tomatoes to the menu. A few cherry tomatoes every 2-3 days is what I feed, per pig.

Fruits look fine to me, I don't feed much more than you do.

So long as it works out to around a cup a day of veggies per pig, your variety and composition look good. You could look for various squash as well, my pigs aren't huge fans, but squash are generally great food pigs.

I have two 9 month olds and one 4 month old

Would this be better then

Monday morning
1 leaf of green lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
2 sprig of parsley

Monday night
1 leaf of red lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
1/4 of a green pepper
2 sprigs of kale
1 slice of cucumber

Tuesday morning
1 leaf of red lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot

Tuesday night
1 leaf of green lettuce
1/4 a pepper
3 sprigs of cilantro
2 sprigs of collard
1 tree of broccoli

Wednesday morning
1 leaf of romaine
3 sprigs of cilantro
2 sprigs of parsley

Wednesday night
1 leaf of romaine
3 sprigs of cilantro
1/4th a green pepper
1 slice of cucumber
1 cherry tomato

Thursday Morning
1 leaf of red lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
2 sprigs of kale

Thursday night
1 leaf of green lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
1/4 a pepper
2 sprigs of collard
1 slice of apple

Friday Morning
1 leaf of green lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot

Friday Night
1 leaf of red lettuce
2 sprigs of parsley
1/4th a green pepper
1 slice of cucumber
3 sprigs of cilantro

Saturday Morning
1 leaf of red lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro

Saturday night
1 leaf of green lettuce
1/4 a pepper
1 tree of broccoli
1 slice of cucumber
1 cherry tomato
3 sprigs of cilantro

Sunday Morning
1 leaf of romaine
3 sprigs of cilantro
1 carrot

Sunday Night
1 leaf of romaine lettuce
3 sprigs of cilantro
2 sprigs of parsley
1/4th a green pepper
2 sprigs of collard
1 slice of apple

Try adding banana to your list too! My pigs love it!!

Try adding banana to your list too! My pigs love it!!

Banana is not recommended, as it causes gas & bloat & in large amounts could be lethal. It's also higher in sugars & low in vitamin C. Only feed a very small slice occasionally as a treat. Please take a look at the Diet charts for appropriate menus & daily staples.

Oh wow, defintely did not know that! I have been feeding it to my pigs for almost 6 years! Thats good they only get it twice a week!

I would feed it less than that, but I'm not sure if you have to. My guys only get a tiny slice of banana once a month.

It's fine about once a week & a smaller slice, as long as you don't notice any bloat, discomfort in your pigs or odd shaped droppings. :) But it shouldn't be a bigger part of their diet where they need other staples, where fruits are not needed for anything other than occasional treats.

Okay thanks for the advice! Learn something new everyday! I feel really bad that I didn't know that. :(

Nicholle, that looks basically ok to me, but boy! are you making it hard!

I keep red or green leaf lettuce, green bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, cilantro and corn husks and silks on hand all the time. Depending on what we're eating or what's on sale at the grocery, I buy a few green beans, endive, dill, basil, summer squash, or a colored pepper. I don't buy cucumber because one of mine gets gassy when she eats it, and neither of them gets romaine because they get sludgy urine when they eat it. I throw in a bit of fruit a few times a week, but it's whatever I've got in the fridge.

My pigs get some lettuce twice a day, and another meal of veggies. That last meal always has green pepper, a slice of tomato, and corn husks and silks in it, and may have any of the other stuff I've got in the fridge. I quit chopping when they've got enough on the plate.

I don't even plan my family's meals to the degree that you've got listed there. There's no way I'm gonna spend the amount of time and thought it would take to follow that for two rodents!

Thanks for everyones advice :)
and to bpatters I know its alot of work but they are my babies and when i was a little girl i had 3 gerbils who didnt get fed at all right and went weeks with out water and I feel so bad still to this day, even though my parents say its not my fault because i was so young. So now i care for all my pets like they are my life.
Its almost like caring for them will make up for my faults as a child.

Yah thats my sappy story haha but just though you might like to know why im that crazy. :)

I hope you've got a big refrigerator!

Where do you get corn husks and silks? Is it available all year long?

My family is allready big on veggies so we have like 3 shelves just for veggies haha

CLV71, I can get corn with husks and silks almost year round at the grocery stores here. Mine don't like the dried kind, so I have to buy fresh.

The funny thing is, we can't eat all that corn. My farming ancestors are no doubt rolling in their graves at the idea of me buying corn for the husks and silks and throwing the corn away!

How do you change the veggie diet for younger guinea pigs? I have heard it mentioned that it should be different many times, but i don't believe I have ever found how so. I am not sure how old mine are, but pretty sure they are just a couple months old.

You don't change it for younger pigs, you just feed less. The pups can eat anything the adults do.

CLV71, I can get corn with husks and silks almost year round at the grocery stores here. Mine don't like the dried kind, so I have to buy fresh.

The funny thing is, we can't eat all that corn. My farming ancestors are no doubt rolling in their graves at the idea of me buying corn for the husks and silks and throwing the corn away!

Oh you have to buy the entire ear of corn. I feel dumb I thought you were only buying the husks and silks. LOL

ETA You could cut the corn off of the ears and freeze it.

Last edited:
Along with all of the veggies..do you guys put out "pellets" along with the veggies? And of course the hay. Just wondering.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.