Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is there such a thing as a "safe" Out door run?

brupoppiggies

Cavy Slave
Here is where I am:

The boys LOVE being outside in the play pen. In fact they get along perfectly out there (go figure.) I love to sit outside on nice days to do my homework and would love to bring them out with me, but I am always scared to bring them out while I am studying because I feel like I need to constantly watch them. Not that they aren't adorable outside and I don't enjoy watching them.

But my obsessive fear means they don't come out unless I have either the hubs or one of the kids home in case I need to run in the house for a minute..

I would really like (if it exists) something that I could confidently allow them to be in while I am outside in the garden or studying. And that would be safe enough that if I had to run in to answer the phone or use the facilities I don't need another person out Staring at them.

I am in the PacNW in the suburbs. Our typical predators are predatory birds and cats. We have raccoons, but they aren't out during the day, and I don't hang out outside at night. I have never seen a snake in our yard. Evidenced by the fact that I still go out there. We don't have dogs and my yard is fully fenced (6ft privacy) - and locked.

I would prefer something with a shelter of some sort so I didn't have to bring hideys out, that allowed them safe access to the grass and was big enough for all 5 pigs to play in at once. Does anything exist that would meet my needs?

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean. My biggest fear is that a hawk is going to come out of no where and snatch one of my piggies. I bought more grids and use that. The outside playpen is a 5X4 and I built a lid for it like on my inside cage. I would never leave them out there on their own but I can enjoy doing something else in the yard without any worries a bird is going to come along and take them. I works well and I can move it around the yard to keep then in the shade. I just bring their hidey houses outside so I can't help you there but you could probably build something more permanent.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm always afraid of bringing my piggy outside. Mainly because back when we 1st got Whistles I lived with my brother on his ranch/I would put Whistles in a pin outside to graze. Well while bringing in horses I noticed he managed to escape as I hurried towards him I saw an Ospray flying back n forth.
I basically ditched the horse(who was mine/immediately took advantage to graze xD) and ran for my Whistles. Ever since that day I've never brought him back outside. Now I bring the grass to him xD

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
I don't think anything could be 100% safe, but my run is pretty secure. I saw it at the local pet store (luckily they don't sell animals) - it's wooden with strong wire mesh and 16sq ft. I secure towels onto it for shade and privacy and put out some tunnels and hideys. It's tent-pegged to the ground and quite heavy. It seems pretty secure! Had to make mum fork out £60 for it though ;)
Do you have anyone you know who could build you one with wood (or can you)? Wooden ones are heavier, and you can also ask for strong wire mesh to be used. Just an idea :) If not, keep looking.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I think if you have room, creating a strong wooden enclosure would ease your worries :) Even just a wooden box, with screwed together 2x4's and some strong wire mesh stapled around would do the trick! That way, it will be hard for anything to get in, or out.

I constantly worry too. i normally sit right beside the pigs in the grass, and if I'm overly paranoid, I'll bring my knees up and cover the pigs. They like running under the triangle my legs make.

I worry more about them getting fleas or mites though.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
My local rspca have built this great run ,I think it's where they must put their rabbits if anyone wants to meet them. Any way it's home made so you could build it as large as you want, there's is high enough for a person to stand up in, it's fully enclosed with wire mesh and then completely covered in shade cloth (roof and walls). It had some plastic chairs in it so you can sit in with the animals. While nothing is probably 100%secure, I would think something like this would be reasonably safe, and also enjoyable to be in with the piggies.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I don't think anything exists, but you could definitely build something suitable, covered, and safe.

Just to note - western Washington County - you do have coyotes, whether you see them or not, and they don't always only stalk and hunt at night. Three weeks ago I found the remains of a small dog that had been killed, ripped apart and mostly eaten by coyotes. Turns out it belonged to a neighbor down the road a ways, had disappeared the day before from inside a 5' chainlink fence around 2 pm. I see them out in the daytime, frequently, and have found enough dead carcasses lately to keep all my animals, even my large dogs, under very close eye and always leashed after dark. I live in Clackamas County, but I work in Washington County and regularly hear reports of coyotes there. Not to completely freak you out, but if you are thinking of leaving them out overnight, I'd be exceedingly cautious.