Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is there any signs that indicate that the babies will be born soon?

Teilani

Cavy Slave
We were given 3 female guinea pigs about 6 weeks ago and we are fairly sure that 2 are pregnant (at least one definitely is). Is there any signs that the birth is imminent? One has a larger belly than the other though they are both about the same age. The one with the bigger belly has always been a little grumpier the others however she is now separated as she clearly doesnt want company at the moment. Shes always been very active but is now resting a lot and not eating as much this morning as usual. Does that mean it will be soon?

Usually right before birth you can see or feel movement in their stomach.

Roughly two weeks before birth, you should be able to feel the babies if you put your hand over her flanks. As the time gets closer, she may lie with her feet extended out behind her. When birth is very close, the pelvic bones will separate, and you may be able to feel that they have moved about a thumb's distance apart. Often you can hear the babies chattering in the womb.

About 24 hours before my fosters gave birth, I could feel a space about 1/2" wide between their pelvic bones. Like bpatters said, around the last week she'll spend a lot of time laying with her legs splayed out behind her.

shes lying down a lot but with her legs beside her not behind. I think I can feel the space and it seems to be about 1/4" or less, so I guess its a while yet...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.