Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Is there a way to get two guineas to share a cage?

LuluHamilton

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I am new to this site... just finished building my fabulous 2X4 cage!! here is the issue: Last December i bought Lulu and Luna -- sisters. After a nasty virus, Luna unfortunately died. My husband and i thought that Lulu would be lonely so after about a month, we tried to introduce another guinea. Big mistake: neither guinea was used to living with another creature at that point... We returned the new guinea back to the adoption center. But still we wanted lulu to have a playmate -- lulu is a bit neurotic and jitttery by the way... fast forward to last month: we brought home hamilton (aka Hammy). this time we bought a separate cage for hammy with the idea that we would slowly get them used to each other... we put them together for a few minutes a day, on our laps or the couch (not in lulu's cage) and we put their cages right up against each other... then we removed the cardboard that was between them... so far so good... they seemed to like eachother and hammy kept on mounting lulu and lulu would let her. today i finished making my c&c cage and want to put them in together... i took two panels and can subdivide the cage if needed. is there anything special i should do? thanks so much for any and all advice! PS lulu is a lot bigger than hammy at this point!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! I'm sorry to hear about Luna, but glad you've adopted a new friend for your surviving girl.

As for the current situation, did you introduce them on neutral territory?

This is a good site for introductions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.