Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Is there a "good" number of females to house together..

jenn818

Cavy Slave
So I started out Christmas eve with 3 gp that i thought were female that i got from a girl on craigslist. Since then I have discovered one is a boy. Also both females had 3 babies one boy 5 girls.(they were pregnant when i got them) Now I was going to keep them all but 9 gp is just soooo overwhelming. I emailed the girl i got them from and she has missed them and she is more than happy to take back any that i will give her. So i have 2 boys father and son that she will get and I'd like help figuring out how to separate the 7 girls. I'd prefer to keep the 5 baby's. Now will the mothers be okay if they are just removed from the baby's or should I let one baby go with them? There is two girls that where born 1-26 and 3 were born 2-14. So are they too young to be without a mother or older guinea pig. Would there be a "best" way to divide them. And since they should be in pairs is it better to have an even number?

You can house as many females together as long as you have enough cage space and as long as they get along. a cage for 7 females should be at least 2x8 grids C&C.

Boys have to be separated at 3 weeks of age otherwise they'll get the females pregnant.

You don't really have to separate them if you can make a big enough cage. GPs are herd animals so they do very well in large groups. You would need a very large cage (probably at least a 2x10). If you can't do one big cage, you can separate them into a group of 3 and a group of 4. They have to be in "pairs", 2 piggies is just the minimum number to house together. I've got 3 boars and they live together very happily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.