Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is there a good calorie rich food?

allegedgogirl

Cavy Slave
I posted earlier before about my boy losing weight. Is there a good calorie rich food that we might be able to give him to help boost his weight.

I only ask this because our boy is in very good spirits and seems very happy. (brigth eyes, more squeaks than usual, shiny coat) He is not sulking or sluggish and I would really like to try to avoid the vet.

If we get some suggestions and they do not work I will then take him to the vet.

Thanks for all your help.

FloppyRagzDolli

Cavy Slave
fruits. thats what i gave ragz when she was sick and losing weight.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Oats are a good high calorie food for a pig that needs a bit of extra energy - just mix a few in with the pellets. Fruits are really too sugary to give much of - that kind of energy isn't too good for them as they can't metabolise it well and it puts stress on their system.

But if he's losing weight, you need to get him checked out with a good cavy vet as it's a good indicator something isn't right - often the first sign people get which is why regular weighing is advocated as it helps you spot problems. If he's still active and happy then you're lucky as you have time to act before he starts getting ill - waiting and seeing could mean things have the chance to get a lot worse.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that's what I was going to say! lol What about alfalfa hay too?? High in calcium, but if she feeds it just until he gains weight?? I know it's higher in fat too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.