Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is there a doctor in the house?

jaycobra

Cavy Slave
I have had guinea pigs before, and a total of 4 now. But my question is: has anyone ever heard of a guinea pig being allergic to timothy hay? I have a 1 ¼ yr old male who seems to be. He scratches so hard at times that he cuts himself open, even after I have constantly trimmed his nails. We have been going to a small animal vet for the last 3 months, and Thomas-John (pronounced “Thomajon” just like parmesan cheese) is getting better. We have tried different beddings, different locations, different food, and vitamins both in water and in food. But he just keeps pulling his skin open. None of the other 3 pigs show his symptoms or do the same thing. They are eating the same type food, same bedding, lots of fresh veggies, and tons of play time. I just have them in seperate cages.

Any ideas??

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
sorry for spelling errors now, but here goes. The vet does say he has mites, and that is the reason for scratching. but he does not seem to be improving with both injected meds or oral meds. even giving him a medicated bath doesn't seem to help. right now she (the vet) said to hold back the hay from him. so we doubled up on fresh greens for him. nutritionally he is as happy as a pig in your garden. he gets fresh romain and red leaf, fresh spinich, carrots, apples, broccoli, even squash.

Don't hold the hay back please. He really needs it. If you need to cut back to smaller amounts but he needs the hay for his teeth and digestive system. Mite treatment includes 3 doses 7-10 days apart. Sometimes they may not improve until they get the third treatment if it's a bad case. What kind of medicated bath did this pig get?

why don't your try switching to bluegrass hay? I have read that isn'tas bad for people with allergies

It's not jaycobra that has allergies. His pig has mites.

I believe that some cavies do have allergies to certain types of hays. Especially if it's very dusty. I would try another good hay instead of timmy for a bit, but as I mentioned earlier, please don't take the hay away completely.

yeah it does sound like mites, you need shots (or any other form) of ivermectin

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.