Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet is their diet ok?

PurplePaws121

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! My pigs all eat pretty good, from what I can tell.

I feed Oxbow pellets and currently Oxbow hay, although I just ordered some new hay from KM and can't wait to get it, I think they're going to love it!

Here are the veggies they get:

1-2 leaves of romaine lettuce per day
1 small square piece of red and green bell pepper
1 small piece of apple every other day or so
1 small piece of carrot every day or every other day, varied
1 small piece of broccoli every other day or so
1 tiny piece of banana every so often
spinach leaves, when I have them
grass from the yard and dandelions, a handful or so a day in the warm months

I know the vitamin C water droplets aren't good so I don't use that, but they refuse to eat the Vit C tablets I bought. Not one pig is even interested in it.

From what i've read, they should be getting ample Vit C from the pellets and veggies. I just want to verify.

Hey guys! My pigs all eat pretty good, from what I can tell.

I feed Oxbow pellets and currently Oxbow hay, although I just ordered some new hay from KM and can't wait to get it, I think they're going to love it!

Here are the veggies they get:

1-2 leaves of romaine lettuce per day
1 small square piece of red and green bell pepper
1 small piece of apple every other day or so
1 small piece of carrot every day or every other day, varied
1 small piece of broccoli every other day or so
1 tiny piece of banana every so often
spinach leaves, when I have them
grass from the yard and dandelions, a handful or so a day in the warm months

I know the vitamin C water droplets aren't good so I don't use that, but they refuse to eat the Vit C tablets I bought. Not one pig is even interested in it.

From what i've read, they should be getting ample Vit C from the pellets and veggies. I just want to verify.

As a newbie myself, i will only comment on the things i'm pretty sure about and i'm sure others will come along soon as well. Bpatters says Romaine is okay unless they have white/powdery/sludge in urine, better would be red and green leaf lettuce. Red bell pepper has a lot of sugar, the green would be better and has a lot of Vit C in it also. Apples and fruit should really be once a week or so. Carrots are good. Broccoli can give them gas, use very sparingly. Banana can constipate them (?), it's better to avoid it completely as i understand. Spinach and kale are very high in calcium and should be given more as a treat, not often. Most pellets have stabilized Vit C, but check them and make sure how long it's guarunteed to last, different brands say different times. And now that i typed all that, have you checked out the food charts posted? They are one of the top threads in this topic, they are ultra useful and talk about veggies, fruits and forages!! You can also look on guinealynx.info, they have a big food chart with sortable columns, but i couldn't get them to print with the colors on them, i only got black and white. Good luck and have fun!!

That sounds good. Make sure you limit the carrots and bannana due to their high suger count.

I am not a pro, so I may or may not be 100% right

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.